• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Forgery of a Money Order

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kromka

What is the name of your state? New York

I learned from a third party that I am in the process of having papers filed against me for forgery of a money order. Let me explain...quite complex:
I leased a vehicle from GMAC. A friend(no longer, because of this), agreed to put his name on the credit app. to make the deal go through. My name appears nowhere on the app. Lease ends and unfortunately I drove the vehicle over the miles allowed. The debt says GMAC is $1,200. I drove the vehicle all the time, my friend did not. As far as this debt was concerned, my friend and I made an oral agreement that I would pay down this debt at a rate of $25 a month in money orders. Now here is the crux of the matter, where I feel I am totally innocent. 1) I bought, wrote in the information, handled, and mailed in all the money orders. Never once did my friend buy any of them, write in on any of them, or send any of them, it was all left up to me. 2) I made most of the payments as promised...I missed 2. On those two money orders, which I HAD intended, but later changed my mind, to send in, I crossed out "GMAC" on the payee line, and my friend's name on the payer line. In their place, I wrote in the place where I bought the money order, and my name on the payer line. Essentially the store bought back the money order from me and refunded my money. 3) My friend learned of my 2 missed payments when he received a notice from GMAC about it. Rather than confronting me, he went to a lawyer to investigate the matter. The lawyer found the two money orders I did not send in and traced them down, retrieved them and noticed the "alterations". Remember now, this was in MY handwriting, everything the original writing, and the alterations I made.
4) The lawyer, not knowing the handwriting was ALL in my name is convinced of forgery and is advising his client to pursue charges against me. I think this is ridiculous 5) My only "crime" was that I missed 2 payments. Bottom line, I purchased the money orders, my friend did not. I did not alter his signature or payee, because he never wrote anything on the money orders to begin with! Since I bought the money orders technically I could have done anything I wanted with them, correct? My definition of forgery is if you say signed someone's name on a document for your own personal gain, or something like that. There is nothing even remotely attached to that here. It is a very frustrating thing, and I may need to fight this in court.
Any help would be appreciated. If need any clarifications, ask away. Thanks!

K

kromka

Why no replies??

Why is everybody else getting a reply but me? It would seem this is a valid issue to comment on. Or is it leaving everyone scratching their heads? I am not kidding about this...it is the truth. PLEASE REPLY SOMEONE!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">