• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

forgetful daughter

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

worried mommy

What is the name of your state? TX.
My 21 year old daughter recently got a ticket for shoplifting for the first time. When she went to court the first time, she didn't know what to do, and I didn't know how to advise her. She asked for a jury, and is having to return to court in November.

Can she change her mind now, and ask for deferred adjudication or something else?

It was a 10.00 item that she swears she forgot she put in her purse while she was looking for something else to purchase. When she went up to pay, she forgot to pull it out along with her money.

Also, will she have to say to her employers in the future (in college now,going into nursing) that this is in her record?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

worried mommy said:
What is the name of your state? TX.
My 21 year old daughter recently got a ticket for shoplifting for the first time. When she went to court the first time, she didn't know what to do, and I didn't know how to advise her. She asked for a jury, and is having to return to court in November.

Can she change her mind now, and ask for deferred adjudication or something else?

It was a 10.00 item that she swears she forgot she put in her purse while she was looking for something else to purchase. When she went up to pay, she forgot to pull it out along with her money.

Also, will she have to say to her employers in the future (in college now,going into nursing) that this is in her record?

My response:

"she swears she forgot she put in her purse while she was looking for something else to purchase. When she went up to pay, she forgot to pull it out along with her money."
She put it in her purse? Why would anyone place an item in their purse? You use a cart, or a hand carrier, but you don't put it in your purse.

And you're buying her cacamamie story? Who has the lower IQ, you or her?

IAAL

worried mommy

I'm at the age where I begin to forget people's names, and can't finish my sentences, because I can't remember what I was going to say, so at first I did, but no way, did I buy her story especially after we spoke with her police officer dad. He was way more scepitical than I, but is there anything that she can do to get out of this without having a record?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

worried mommy said:
I'm at the age where I begin to forget people's names, and can't finish my sentences, because I can't remember what I was going to say, so at first I did, but no way, did I buy her story especially after we spoke with her police officer dad. He was way more scepitical than I, but is there anything that she can do to get out of this without having a record?

My response:

Not unless she's a Kennedy or a Rockefeller. Dad will confirm that she's going down for the count.

IAAL

snostar

worried mommy said:
I'm at the age where I begin to forget people's names, and can't finish my sentences, because I can't remember what I was going to say,
At what age does that happen, exactly?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl

That depends on what questions a potential employer asks her. If they ask a question for which a truthful answer will mean revealing this incident, then she'd better reveal it. Many employers will forgive a single incident, especially since it happened when she was very young. However, few if any will forgive a lie. If she lies about it and gets caught (which is far easier than you might think) she can and will be fired. If she hasn't yet been hired, she can and will immediately be placed in the Do Not Hire pile.

She does not need to volunteer the information if a potential employer does not ask about it.

BTW, I don't buy her story for a minute and neither will any other HR manager. So when she does tell an employer about it, she'll be far better off admitting what she did, than trying to convince them that she "forgot". Give me a flippin' break!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">