• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Found out after plead guilty offense is considered "violent"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jjclmn

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Washington

I pled guilty to solicitation to commit 2nd degree arson in January. My attorney told me I could have the conviction expunged 5 years after completing my sentence (60 days + 1 year of probation). After the plea was accepted, I was told that I pled to a "violent" offense, and now I read in the state's laws that violent offenses can never be expunged (see Washington State RCW 9.94A.640). Do I have any hope in ever going back to a decent job (I worked in a bank for almost 8 years), or am I doomed to be a convicted felon for the rest of my life? With the exception of the one incredibly stupid mistake, I've always been a model citizen with a great family, friends, and employment history.
Also, was my lawyer incompetent by not knowing (or not informing me), that I was pleading guilty to a violent offense?
Please Help!!
Jana
[email protected]

Veronica1228

jjclmn said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Washington

I pled guilty to solicitation to commit 2nd degree arson in January. My attorney told me I could have the conviction expunged 5 years after completing my sentence (60 days + 1 year of probation). After the plea was accepted, I was told that I pled to a "violent" offense, and now I read in the state's laws that violent offenses can never be expunged (see Washington State RCW 9.94A.640). Do I have any hope in ever going back to a decent job (I worked in a bank for almost 8 years), or am I doomed to be a convicted felon for the rest of my life? With the exception of the one incredibly stupid mistake, I've always been a model citizen with a great family, friends, and employment history.
Also, was my lawyer incompetent by not knowing (or not informing me), that I was pleading guilty to a violent offense?
Please Help!!
Jana
[email protected]
Well, I can't answer all of your questions, but I can tell you because I work for a bank that you have to be bonded. I doubt you will ever be able to work at a bank again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">