• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Found a wallet and might get charged for theft

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Travlain

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts

Actually my 2 year old daughter found a wallet on the ground at a park and it looked exactly like mine. I figured it was mine so I took it from her and put it in my pocket. We left the park and when I got to the store I saw that it wasn't my wallet, so I left it at customer service after taking a business card from the wallet. I called the owner and left him a message to let him know where his wallet was and saying sorry but at least it was found and you got it back.
Than later back at the park the owner came up with a police officer saying that I stole his wallet and was seen picking it up. So I explained what happened and where his wallet was, and told him to check his voicemail. He did and apoligised to me and thanked me for being a decent person. I felt good doing a good deed and helping him out. Now the police called me and told me $150-$200 was missing from the wallet and unless I pay it back they will press charges. I than got a letter from the owner of the wallet saying he was missing $300 and I had to pay him back or he would press charges as much as he can. I'm really lost as I didn't take any money from him and there was none in the wallet when I looked through it for the business card. It almost seems like the owner of the wallet is just trying to get money from me, but I am really broke and out of work otherwise I might pay them so I don't have to deal with it. I have a big criminal history from when I was younger and am on probation for recieving stole goods when I bought a $700 computer on craigslist. So I guess I'm just wondering what I should do and how much trouble I can be in. Teaches me to be helpfull.

Yes. The truth can set you free! Ecept in Massachusetts.
If you are telling the truth, then stick to your guns. If not....

justalayman

to support your story, I suggest you have that identical wallet of yours handy. While it in itself doesn't change the possible claims you stole the money, it would support your claim of why you simply picked up the wallet and put it in your purse or wherever without looking in to see if you could possibly find the owner near the place of discovery.

Furthermore, all that stuff about your previous criminal record probably is inadmissible..

Also, keep in mind they have to prove you stole the money, which according to your story, if true, they can't.

I agree with everything else stated by my knowledgeable colleagues.

No good deed shall go unpunished.

As described, there is no case here. The cops are trying to muscle you, just in case you stole the money and will fold. I would tell them that I am asserting my right to not talk to them again. Don't talk to them. He can probably sue you civilly, like in small claims, but what is that going to do as long as you appear? He has no case. Same thing goes if there is a citizens arrest type provision. That doesnt invent a prosecutable case.

I wouldnt worry too much about it unless you receive documents from the DA indicating charges have been filed. You can always follow up later with a call to the DA and see what, if any, status there is.

FlyingRon

Next time turn the wallet into the police, not some third party who has no particular interest in maintaining it's security.

BOR

Next time turn the wallet into the police, not some third party who has no particular interest in maintaining it's security.

Agreed.

What I can't figure is why the store took charge of it? I wonder if they thought he found it on thier property? Otherwise the store has no business keeping it to hold!

Poster, possession is proven, however, theft must be proven beyond a reasonable doubt, not likely.

Any other park patron could have taken the money and dropped the wallet back.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Agreed.

What I can't figure is why the store took charge of it? I wonder if they thought he found it on thier property? Otherwise the store has no business keeping it to hold!

Poster, possession is proven, however, theft must be proven beyond a reasonable doubt, not likely.

Any other park patron could have taken the money and dropped the wallet back.
Not in SCC ;)

Peg0000

WOW**************.... what an ingenious scam this one has......
I find an honest person to pick up my wallet**************... honest person turns it into the police or may even call me - cause all thats in there is my business card....;)
HEY, THANKS FOR FINDING MY WALLET BUT YOU STOLE ALL MY MONEY!!
Wonder how many times that has worked for him in the past?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">