• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fraud?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

p0pnfresh2002

I live in NJ, and I was wondering about fraud. My father died in 2000 and my mother never changed the phone, cable, electric, and water bills into her name. She passed away earlier this month and so now it is just me and my brother living at the house and we don't know if we have to change those services into our names or if we can continue to use them and pay bills as usual. Is it fraud if we continue to use those services and pay those bills that are under my father's name?

Curt581

p0pnfresh2002 said:
I live in NJ, and I was wondering about fraud. My father died in 2000 and my mother never changed the phone, cable, electric, and water bills into her name. She passed away earlier this month and so now it is just me and my brother living at the house and we don't know if we have to change those services into our names or if we can continue to use them and pay bills as usual. Is it fraud if we continue to use those services and pay those bills that are under my father's name?
No, it's probably not fraud, as no theft occurred since the bills are being paid.

However, I'd strongly advise you to have the bills changed to the name of whoever now owns the house. Do it today. The utilities are used dealing with this sort of thing.

Not only would it become fraud if you stopped paying the bills for whatever reason, but you also can't modify or do anything with the account while it's still in your Dad's name. Your Mom might have been able to, since she was Mrs. John Smith, but you won't be able to.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">