• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fraud and Breech of Contract Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

relics

I am in the state of Kentucky and am the victim of criminal fraud from a business in Canada. I've discovered 14 other people that have been a victim of fraud from this same person, which consisted of selling items he didn't have in order to get and take money, taking items on consignment and not returning them, etc.. He has since closed his business. I have located him and after threatening criminal charges, the perpetrator agreed to put his house on the market to repay his debts. His agreement is to draft a letter that will be signed, notarized, and witnessed by his lawyer. The letter will state that upon the sale of his house his lawyer wil act as executor of the funds and will distribute the funds off the top to repay his debts before any remaining balance is sent to him.

My question is this. Since he is in Canada, will this contract be enforceable if he does not follow through? Also, are there any other legal ways I can recover my funds or press charges on this individual if he does not follow through? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mass_Shyster

I am in the state of Kentucky and am the victim of criminal fraud from a business in Canada. I've discovered 14 other people that have been a victim of fraud from this same person, which consisted of selling items he didn't have in order to get and take money, taking items on consignment and not returning them, etc.. He has since closed his business. I have located him and after threatening criminal charges, the perpetrator agreed to put his house on the market to repay his debts. His agreement is to draft a letter that will be signed, notarized, and witnessed by his lawyer. The letter will state that upon the sale of his house his lawyer wil act as executor of the funds and will distribute the funds off the top to repay his debts before any remaining balance is sent to him.

My question is this. Since he is in Canada, will this contract be enforceable if he does not follow through? Also, are there any other legal ways I can recover my funds or press charges on this individual if he does not follow through? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Right now, you know where he lives. When he sells his house, you'll probably never find him. If you have the ability to file a criminal complaint, I suggest doing so, and hoping the court calls for restitution.

A bird in the hand....

relics

Thank you for your reply. Is there a way to ensure that the funds will automatically go through his lawyer and be redistributed before he gets it? That way it wouldn't matter if he took off since I would be able to work directly with the lawyer. I feel this may be my only hope. I want to make sure that this notarized letter would be sufficient and that I wouldn't need something else to get the funds routed directly through his lawyer.

I have attempted contating the authorities in Canada, however they tell me I must go through the authorities in the U.S. and the local authorities here tell me I need to contact Canada. No-one seems overly interested even though there are 14 parties involved, covering several countries. The total amount scammed totals more than $80,000 in the last year.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">