• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fraud & Class Four Felony charge?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

no name

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NE

Months after a painful breakup, I found myself still searching for his info. on-line.

I logged into his on-line bank account (without his consent) to find out where he's been to. I saw a message said they were going to add additional security quesitons. I was afraid that I would not be able to access his account in future so I added my email address as a secondary email to his account. Unfortunately he found out immediately. I NEVER did anything more than checking to see what he's been doing. He hired an attorney and in his letter said this is a fraud that could lead to a class four felony charge and up to five years in jail, is this correct?

I also have his credit card info including the 3-digit security code. He gave me those last year when he asked me to book tickets for him. I NEVER used this for my own advantage.

I did set up a facebook account in his name. I NEVER had any info in this account except for his name and his date of birth - that's what they asked for. I was only searching for his on-line info when I set it up. I forgot about it until one of his brothers added "him" as a friend. I immediately canceled the account. I never used that facebook account for ANYTHING. Again in the letter from the attorney he hired says it could be a felony charge. It this correct? What should I do now?

no name

Fraud & Class Four Felony?

What does the letter from the attorney ask you to do?
Quote from letter "It also appears that someone is attempting to access Mr. xxx on line banking account from an e-mail account that you ave access to. If that person is you, this could constitute a fraud and I believe could subject you to a class four felony charge. This could lead to as much as five years in prison."

no name

I really want to know if it's true that it's a fraud and it's a felony. Because I didn't intend to and I didn't do ANYTHING!

His attorney's letter didn't say anything about what they were going to do. Not sure if they just want to warn me or they don't have the evidence to press charge yet. I need to get either the peace in mind or I know I need to be prepared.

no name

My guess is that this guy wants only for you to leave him alone.
Thank you. I assumed that's what it is too. But to be honest, it still bothers me because I could never picture myself as a criminal. Can you please tell me whether or not the things I did was illegal and could have been a felony if it wasn't his "mercy"?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">