• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

fraud - what to do??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bellydancer

What is the name of your state? Georgia

I posted this is the civil litigation section yesterday, but it may have been thr wrong section so I am going to post it here. I'm not trying to overload the board with this, but I would like to know what I can do.

Iam currently a grad student and wanted to get an internship out of state. Before I could began my internship search I decided to go online to check out the prices of rentals there. I found this one place where in exchange for lowered rent I would help take care of the owner's pets and take care of his things (bills, packages, etc.) while he was away on business every week (he lived next door to the place.) I emailed him stating my situation and that if I could rent the place it would allow me to take a low paying, public interest internship. He replied that he had been interviewing people for the place / job and that it wasn't going well, but if I was interested he would let me do it for the summer.

Knowing this, it prompted me to focus my search only in the public interest sector. I went for an interview last week and asked him if I could come see the place, but he was out of town. Since I was going there anyways I decided to swing by the condo complex and check it out (I just felt like it was too good to be true.) When he emailed me the pictures of the place, I had right clicked on them and noticed the properties on the pics were from a real estate web site. The web site had the unit number of the condo on it and we went inside to ask about that condo. Turns out it's for sale. After talking to the building manager, I found out that someone had tried this before.

I'm guessing this guy gets deposit money for a place that's not even his and then runs with it. But can he do this without the check being traced??? I also thought he would ask to do a background check on me and then take my social security number to steal my identity, but he hasn't asked that. He has said I am the 'best candiate' for the condo and has emailed me the lease.

Without having taken any money from me, I'm assuming that misrepresentation is his only crime. I guess my question comes in regarding the 'contract' we 'had.' If I would have known I wasn't going to find a place to rent for this price, I would have tried to get interviews in the private sector (as much as I love public interest, I'm broke.) So in essence, I relied on his promise that I could rent a place for that price when I scheduled the interview and accepted the job. Could I sue him for reliance?? That is, assuming, his true identity is discovered and he is found. I am contemplating going to the police to see if they can find him. But I wouldn't even know where to go for the police because for all I know this guy isn't even in the US!!

I appreciate any and all comments you could give me. THANKS!!!

ENASNI

well

If what you are saying is you want to sue this man, because he he dangled a carrot... the carrot wasn't real... but you are only out time?
That the time you spent on this, you would have been chasing other vegetables.?
I am sorry, I am not getting the problem or what you have been cheated out of.

bellydancer

scam

How exactly will he carry the scam to completion? I mean if I had sent the check couldn't I have traced it and found the person who had cashed it?

I turned down interviews for the higher paying jobs because I figured I could take the lower paying job when my rent was to be so low. The interviews were being set up by friends so I feel confident I could have secured at least one of those positions.

I realize the chances of ever really finding this guy is a one in a million, but for arguments sake: would there even be a law suit? And hypothetically speaking, if this guy were found and did have the assets could he be directed to pay expectancy damages??

O

OhBullship

It's interesting that you would ask more than once how the check would be traced. It's also interesting that you are curious about the possible consequences when it isn't something you even fell for......

If you are asking about way to run a scam, always demand cash ;)

ENASNI

oh..

but that link didn't work :rolleyes:
Poster always have more eggs in the basket...or something like that.
Don't fry your chickens before they fly the coop...
Oh I don't know...always cover your bases with...
I will be quiet now. :eek:

bellydancer

found out

Do you really think if I wanted to run a scam I'd ask how to do it here???

Well it turns out it's a money transfer scam - wants the money via Western Union.

And excuse my curiosity. The law does interest me and I'm just trying to think 'like a lawyer' and see all the possible scenerios. And is it so wrong that I want this guy to pay? I dont' necessarily have to be the victim. He has done it before and will continue to do it again.

O

OhBullship

How is learning about the way a check is traced going to do anything to that guy? You never gave him a check so what are you going to do, start tracing random checks to see if they come back to someone you don't know?

bellydancer said:
Do you really think if I wanted to run a scam I'd ask how to do it here???
Why not?

bellydancer said:
I dont' necessarily have to be the victim. He has done it before and will continue to do it again.
I never thought you were the victim ;)

S

seniorjudge

Q: Do you really think if I wanted to run a scam I'd ask how to do it here???

A: Yes. It happens several times a day.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">