• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fraudulent use of a credit card

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

GrangerGal04

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? California

About a month ago, my family and I went on a trip through a travel agency. A few days ago, I received my bill from my credit card company (the company I had used to pay for the trip), and was shocked to find myself overcharged $854.70. I had allowed the travel agency to charge me the cost of the total trip: $7,160. However, without notifying me, the travel agency used my card to pay for another family's (in no way related to us) airplane tickets. I still have yet to receive credit back for the overcharged $854.70 from the travel agency.

Upon receiving my bill, I contacted the travel agency to see what had happened (whether the company had been aware that it had been charging my credit card without my permission). I was brushed off and told that my credit card had been used because they needed to pay for the airfare for one of their other customers. In other words, they KNOWINGLY used my credit card. They admitted to assuming that I would be credited back the unauthorized amount prior to me discovering the misusage of my credit card. I guess an apology and a clear explanation for the fraudulent use of my credit card was too much to ask from them.

Today, I received a phone call from the travel agency notifying me that if I wanted a check of the overcharged $854.70 (instead of having it credited back), then I would have to call them back and agree to their terms. In other words, if I don't simply agree to a $854.70 check then no money returned to me. They completely dismissed the fact that my credit card was used without my permission.

In a case such as this, what would you suggest? I would really appreciate some advice in this.

Thank you,
Grace

stephenk

Notify your credit card company about the misuse of the card by the agency. Is the tour agency licensed? If yes, report them to the Consumer Affairs Department of California. Finally, file a police report against the agency for fraudulent use of your card.

tbanks

I would also suggest you consider reporting that credit card as "compromised" and have it cancelled and reissued with a new number, so that no further charges can be made to it. If you have your credit card company handle the refund, which would be my suggestion (I would not accept a check from the travel agency), they would be able to apply the credit to the new number.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">