• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Free rentals = embezzlement? help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

wweAngle

What is the name of your state? Missouri

Ok, heres the scenario...

I live in a small town in Missouri and I'm currently in college. For a part time job I work at a Movie Gallery. Easy job and it works well with my school. Big deal. Now, me and another guy there have worked there for over a year. Hell, we've been there since the place opened. Here's the problem. In this year we've worked there me and him gave out free rentals to friends and family. Name me one teen that woudn't. A year has elapsed and I'm getting threats from the company's loss prevention that me and this other guy might be prosected for embezzlement. Now, we've never stolen anything. Everything "credited" was ran through company computers. In theory, I never took anything. True, they lost money due to me using coupon codes (example: landing quarters in a tank, winning the plastic ball in a gum machine) from time to time. Anyone help me out and lemme know where I stand? Anythign is appreciated

HomeGuru

wweAngle said:
What is the name of your state? Missouri

Ok, heres the scenario...

I live in a small town in Missouri and I'm currently in college. For a part time job I work at a Movie Gallery. Easy job and it works well with my school. Big deal. Now, me and another guy there have worked there for over a year. Hell, we've been there since the place opened. Here's the problem. In this year we've worked there me and him gave out free rentals to friends and family. Name me one teen that woudn't. A year has elapsed and I'm getting threats from the company's loss prevention that me and this other guy might be prosected for embezzlement. Now, we've never stolen anything. Everything "credited" was ran through company computers. In theory, I never took anything. True, they lost money due to me using coupon codes (example: landing quarters in a tank, winning the plastic ball in a gum machine) from time to time. Anyone help me out and lemme know where I stand? Anythign is appreciated

**A: here's the problem. You never took common sense 101 or math 100 in college.
You are using fuzzy math theory and not legal theory.
You stole money from the company because you gave free rentals, period, end of discussion.

M

Mike101

On the embezzlement it depends on your state. I have handled cases such as this one and I have always charged with obtaining property by false pretenses. Which is a felony. This is in NC.

M

Mike101

They used "coupon codes" which is the false pretense. The rule is you charge the highest charge. O by FP is a felony and can then be reduced down to something a little less.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">