• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

friend awaiting sentence has been waiting for 2 months

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

incogn2oe

my friend was found guilty in a jury trial of marijuana charges. possession with intent to distribute and attempt to sell. the judge ordered a presentence investigation. it has now been two months and the officer compiling the report is dragging her feet on this. does he have any rights to a speedy sentence or does he just have to sit and wait.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by incogn2oe:
my friend was found guilty in a jury trial of marijuana charges. possession with intent to distribute and attempt to sell. the judge ordered a presentence investigation. it has now been two months and the officer compiling the report is dragging her feet on this. does he have any rights to a speedy sentence or does he just have to sit and wait.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

Since he was found guilty, what's the problem?

Your friend will be a guest of the State for about 4 to 7 years anyway. So, what does it matter? He's not going anywhere.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

I

incogn2oe

the problem is that the prosecution tampered with evidence and had the police lie on the stand. he did not sell or atempt to sell but it was their word against his.
your arrogant response is not appreciated. this is the first time he has ever been in trouble with the law and is not a drug dealer. thanks for your answer, but you shouldn't have wasted your time.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by incogn2oe:
the problem is that the prosecution tampered with evidence and had the police lie on the stand. he did not sell or atempt to sell but it was their word against his.
your arrogant response is not appreciated. this is the first time he has ever been in trouble with the law and is not a drug dealer. thanks for your answer, but you shouldn't have wasted your time.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

Wasn't it you that said he was "found guilty in a "jury trial"? So, it's a little too late to postulate that someone was lying. Also, I'm sure you weren't there at the time of the arrest, so anything you say is mere hearsay and speculation. Because, if you were there, you would have said that you testified on his behalf.

So, my question still remains. What's the rush?

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

O

observer

incogn2oe....i do sympathize and i do believe some convictions are "dirty".....it amazes me that IAAL tends to assume the system is always correct.....i'm thinking your friend is in a hurry to start his or her time and figure out the next step to appeal or make some kind of game plan to get thru this....i don't know about your state, but where i live two to two and half months is about the average wait for sentencing....and maybe it's a positive thing that's it's taking awhile because they might be investigating the fairest way to "punish" your friend.....and remember there are all kinds of factors that come into play at sentencing...your friend's age.....the fact that there is no prior trouble with the law.....and i've even been told.....the judge's own personal sympathies for the defendant.....so i'm crossing my fingers for both of you that somehow justice will be served here....and that IAAL improves his docketside manner just a bit.... :eek:)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">