• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Friend in jail for credit card fraud

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

PurpleSwirls

My friend did something stupid because she felt desparate to pay her bills. She's now in jail awaiting trial for attempting credit-card fraud for the first time. She called me collect from jail and told me. She can't afford a lawyer. She admitted to some stuff to the police without a lawyer present. She didn't know she wasn't suppose to. So, now she doesn't know whether to plead guilty or not guilty. She really doesn't now what to do. She's only 18. She goes to college full-time. She doesn't know how to make bail ($10,000) because she doesn't have enough in her bank account. She can't get help from her parents because their on welfare. She called me collect a couple of times today and she's really scared. I can't help her because I'm also a broke college student. I don't think she has any idea how serious the charges are for attempting credit card fraud. This is the first time she has ever commited a crime, so she has no criminal record. It seems like I'm the only one she's been calling for advice. I don't know how to help her. She's a good person who did something out of desparation and really didn't think about the consequences. The sad thing is she turned 18 only a few months ago. She's thinking about dropping out of college to work several jobs if she gets out so she could payoff bail bonds, which she doesn't have yet. I don't want her to have to throw away her future. What advice can I give her? How long can she expect her sentence to be or can she get off?She is very sorry for what she attempted to do but i'm afraid sorry won't help her.

[This message has been edited by PurpleSwirls (edited April 24, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by PurpleSwirls (edited April 24, 2000).]

T

Tracey

Tell her to request a public defender if she can't afford a private lawyer. They're all overworked, but better than nothing. She should not plead guilty until she talks to a lawyer.

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">