• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

FTA form '97

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

2duis97

What is the name of your state? San Diego, Ca.

Yes, I know San Diego isn't a state :)

I wasn't sure where to post this but, here we go!

I found out from the DMV that I have an FTA from 1997 in San Diego. Hence I can't get my lic. back until I get it rectified.

The DMV printout states that these were the violations 4000A VC, 12951A VC, and 40508A VC. Which from my research (not in order) is FTA, lic. not in posession, and expired registration.

Any idea what they can do to me?

Can I get a lawyer to take care of this? Can the lawyer go to court for me, or must I get to San Diego myself and go?

Is my first step calling San Diego? Or is that going to be a waste of time? I live about 5 hours from SD. So, I would like to do as much as possible from home.

Can I still show proof for the registration (which I got the sameday I got the ticket, Cop didn't care that is where I was going when he pulled me over)?

Any idea on fines?

I had a lot going on in '97, hence my username, and just plain forgot about this. But, apparently they haven't, and are not going to.

wonuluv2hate

There are a couple things you could do, What I would do and I am not the perfect example but I do have experience in the FTA department, unfortunately, but you could contact the office of the clerk where the citation origianlly came out of PD or highway patrol whatever is prevelant, and then find out how much the warrant is for and make a court date if you want to pay the least amount as possible other wise you
will be paying for not only the ticket but the fine for the FTA. If you dont pay it they will eventually take it out of your state income tax refund if you get one or they can even garnish your wages I have had both instances , because It was so far that I had to go to take care of it and I didnt have any means of transpo, i would suggest you call for a payment plan or something and when they recieve there first payment then they will usually lift the hold on your license. they will give you an abstract number .dont forget to ask if they dont remember.

CdwJava

Yes, a lawyer can take care of this for you. These are fix-it violations that should never have gotten this far. You will likely face fines and penalties, but it should not be a big deal to clear up ... provided you actually get an attorney to do it. Otherwise, be ready to do it yourself two or three times.

You can also contact the court and see if there are other options available. You MIGHT be able to just pay it off ... but, I honestly don't know.

- Carl

2duis97

Thanks for the replies.
Yes, I agree it shouldn't have gotten this far. But, now that it has I really want to take care of it.

I'll give a phonecall to the clerk a shot, and see what happens.

Is there a ballpark figure on what it would cost to get an attorney to handle this?

2 non-moving violations, and a failure to appear (which I assume is the worst of all 3). Nothing hidden as far as I know. So, it shouldn't be to much would it (for the attorney I mean)?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">