• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Gambling- Ohio

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

ignoranthopeful

What is the name of your state? OHIO

It asks for a brief post, so I will make one:

Is it illegal to rent out a banquet room to hold a poker tournamnet? I know it's illegal to profit from running a game, but I will not profit from running this. However, the banquet hall does profit indirectly by being the host.

Thanks

Below is a more ellaborate description of my question, just in case I am not clear enough, or in case it is necessary to know more information to clearly answer my question. Thanks!

In Ohio, it is illegal to profit from running a game of chance, but it is not illegal to participate. Hence, running a March Madness Pool (where all money goes to prizes), or playing weekly games of poker (again, no one can take a rake). In addition, you can participate in charity events (and win money) because whoever is running the game is not taking a profit (the charity is, and they are legally allowed to do so).

I run a weekly poker tournament. Everybody puts in $10 and winner gets the money. I make nothing (unless I win the tournament- but that is as a player, and not as who is running it).

What I would like to do, because of increased demand, is rent a place to play poker. Everything else stays the same, except now I am renting out a place to play (for examples sake, a banquet room) Am I allowed to do this? By doing this, does that mean that the banquet hall is profiting from holding this poker tournament? If so, I would think that is against the law.

Additionally, the other players have agreed to split the cost. That's not illegal, is it? It may be construed as charging an entrance fee to play in my game (the entrance fee is used for renting the room, period).

Sorry for the lenghtly question, but I wanted to provide as much information as possible. I've researced this topic but I'm hoping for a knowledgeable response, as opposed to my inexperienced interpretation.

Thanks in advance!

O

oberauerdorf

§ 2915.04 Public gaming.

(A) No person, while at a hotel, restaurant, tavern, store, arena, hall, or other place of public accommodation, business, amusement, or resort shall make a bet or play any game of chance or scheme of chance.

I

ignoranthopeful

But...

In response to section 2915.04A, see 2915.04C

§ 2915.04 Public gaming.

(A) No person, while at a hotel, restaurant, tavern, store, arena, hall, or other place of public accommodation, business, amusement, or resort shall make a bet or play any game of chance or scheme of chance.

(B) No person, being the owner or lessee, or having custody, control, or supervision, of a hotel, restaurant, tavern, store, arena, hall, or other place of public accommodation, business, amusement, or resort shall recklessly permit those premises to be used or occupied in violation of division (A) of this section.

(C) Divisions (A) and (B) of this section do not prohibit conduct in connection with gambling expressly permitted by law.

So, what I think it comes down to, is whether or not it is considered illegal for the banquet or hall to make a profit by renting us the room.

Also, I found this:
The fundamental thrust of new Chapter 2915. is to prohibit the business of gambling without forbidding gambling carried on for pleasure rather than profit.

Thanks again!

O

oberauerdorf

The complete statute is very clear. Gaming in private, not-for-profit (such as the weekly poker game) is not illegal. HOWEVER, if carried out in a place open to the public, is illegal.

Case Closed.

I

ignoranthopeful

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I don't see it that clearly. Obivusally I have no experience, but according to section C that I mentioned, it is ok to have gambling in public, as long as it adheres to the rest of the law (i.e., not for profit).

If I'm not mistaken, it ultimately comes down to if anyone makes profit. So, does it count that the banquet hall will make a profit? Or, is the banquet hall even making a profit becasue of the tournament? The banquet hall is making profit off of the rental of the room, not the actual tournament.

Thanks again.

Respectively,
B

I

ignoranthopeful

Please read what I am asking, and to serve as an informative board, perhaps the members could add a little insight as opposed to demeaning remarks.

At a local high school (public place) a charity game is held approximately 4 times a year. Now, according to your post, this would be illegal, because gambling in public is illegal, period, right?

Now, it is legal to carry it out if the money goes to charity, so your sentence that it is illegal to carry it out in public, period, is false. Pleae use another reason to answer my question.

Is it legal if all the money goes back to the players? In this case, it is just a home game.

Now, a private banquet hall isn't exactly open to the public. The list would be invite only. It's not as if the banquet hall is holding a public tourny.

Thanks again.

HomeGuru

ignoranthopeful said:
Please read what I am asking, and to serve as an informative board, perhaps the members could add a little insight as opposed to demeaning remarks.

At a local high school (public place) a charity game is held approximately 4 times a year. Now, according to your post, this would be illegal, because gambling in public is illegal, period, right?

Now, it is legal to carry it out if the money goes to charity, so your sentence that it is illegal to carry it out in public, period, is false. Pleae use another reason to answer my question.

Is it legal if all the money goes back to the players? In this case, it is just a home game.

Now, a private banquet hall isn't exactly open to the public. The list would be invite only. It's not as if the banquet hall is holding a public tourny.

Thanks again.
**A: Hey ignorant, you just don't get it. Please keep your user name as it fits you to a T.

Last edited:
I

ignoranthopeful

Maybe I'm not clear, or perhaps you raise your self-esteem by hiding on message boards and offering no real advice to those who seek it. My name, ignoranthopefull, is just that. I came to your site seeking answers and explanations. Obvisually I don't get it, but what I am asking is that someone help explain it to me. If you can't do this, then please refrain from posting as you degrade the quality of the site and yourself.

Your response is unnecessary and your advice is unhelpfull. I have no idea if you are even qualified to give such advise, but your choice of words give you absolutely no credability.

I look forward to any helpful responses. Thank you.

O

oberauerdorf

I look forward to any helpful responses. Thank you.
No you don't. You are waiting for someone to agree that it's perfectly legal to do what you are planning and that won't happen here.

Do you understand that? Because although I gave you the statutory reference that YOUR state has passed to regulate 'gaming', you refuse to acknowledge or even try to understand.

So, here is my LAST comment on the matter. If you continue trying your best to not understand, then pay an attorney in your city up to $500 to explain it to you.

Now the litmus test: Take your idea and market it to ANY hall for rent in OHIO. Then come back here when they refuse to rent you space for your endeavor. Maybe then you'll understand.

I

ignoranthopeful

For the final time, as I am done wasting my time on this site:

You gave me this:
§ 2915.04 Public gaming.

I give you this:

§ 2915.04 Public gaming.
(C) Divisions (A) and (B) of this section do not prohibit conduct in connection with gambling expressly permitted by law.

Maybe you didn't bother to continue reading?

In addition:
"all forms of gambling and activities in aid of it are illegal if carried on as a business"

Does the fact that I pay rent to the banquet hall mean that the banquet hall is 'carrying' this as a 'business.?

To say that I refuse to understand is ignorant (ha, catch the irony?). I am trying to understand, but apparantly the only thing you guys can do is give an answer- which to me sounds uneducated- and support it with a part of the law that says that it doesn't directly prohibit what I am trying to do.

Thanks for your thoughtful and sincere responses. I'll be recommending this site to all of my friends.

I

ignoranthopeful

Seems as if you can't answer my question, and don't have the balls to say so.

§ 2915.04 Public gaming.

Yet you give you reasoning as 2915.04A. Wow, insightful.

You may want to work on keeping your composure. You lose credability. Not that you have much to begin with, but just a friendly suggestion.

HomeGuru

ignoranthopeful said:
Seems as if you can't answer my question, and don't have the balls to say so.

§ 2915.04 Public gaming.

Yet you give you reasoning as 2915.04A. Wow, insightful.

You may want to work on keeping your composure. You lose credability. Not that you have much to begin with, but just a friendly suggestion.
**A: Hey ignoramusdopeful, you don't even know who you are talking to.

Last edited:
O

oberauerdorf

You are the one coming here for advice. YOu got it. Now, since you won't be here very long you enjoy your time as you see fit.

And since you're so knowledgable on the law you don't really need us now do you?

Oh, and tell your professor the next time he gives out an assignment, to make sure it's to HIS class, not kindergarten kids.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">