• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Getting away from abusive parents

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

eljedar

Some one I know is being abused by her parents. She will be turning 16 shortly she wants to know if there is any legal way that she can make it so that she can live with her other family members like her aunt and uncle. Or so that she doesn't have to live with her mom and dad and so that they will no longer have controll. or parental rights over her.

Or is there any legal way that she live on her own with out parents calling the cops and saying she is a runaway.

Her parents have been turned in for child abuse several times. This girl has tried to comit suicede several times, and has ran away once. her mother tried saying the her aunt and cousin kidnapped her, and put a restriaing order on them. Now her mom lets no one near her. Her Aunt and Cousin have turned her mom and Dad in many times. Now she is writting letters to her cousin saying she is going to kill herself if she don't get out of her parents house, she also wrote a letter to several different people saying that her Dad was sexually violating her. Her mom does drug, and different things.

So is there any legal way so that she won't have to live with her parents. Can she live on her own or with her family

E

eljedar

this is some of the abuse she goes through

Her mom got mad at her one day, and pulled out a bealt and just started beating her with it and this girl took off running down the street screaming for help. No one helped they just walked away. Her mom yanked her back in the house ripping her shirt in the process. and beat her. Her cousin turned in her aunt as soon as found this out. The police told her there was nothing she could do if her cousin didn't have a bruise. Then the aunt wouldn't let the cousin near her daughter.
Her mom and dad are divorced.
Her dad would keep her up till one or two in the morning making her talk about what she was doing wrong and how she could improve herself. One night he sat on her lap, and she asked him several times to get off her lap and when he wouldn't she told him she hated him, and he was going to hit her for it, but he didn't. She tried to tell her mom this but her mom just laughed and didn't belive her.
Her Dad would pinch and twist her boobs and snap her bra. He told her this was a way to punish her when she was bad. There are other worse things that happen, but I don't want to go any more into it. This is what I consider abuse, and why I think she needs help.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
She needs to talk with a school counselor, teacher, pastor/priest/rabbi, adult friend. The state of Nebraska does not have a statute for minor emancipation, so living on her own is not a viable solution. But if she can document the problems, and it seems she can, living with other family members may be an option.

If she reports abuse to someone in the school system, they are required by law to report it, which is the first step in getting her out of the house.

NOTE: I am not a lawyer, but I am a former teacher.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">