• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Getting copies of police reports...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

momof3kiddos

What is the name of your state? Texas

I need to know what the usual procedure is for being able to obtain copies of police reports, and if one is able to receive the ENTIRE copy of a police report or only the front page?

I recently filled out a request at our local PD and asked for copies of 3 police reports that I had been told had been filed. I was told that the incidents were "still under investigation" with the investigator and that I would have to wait until the case was "closed" before I could get copies of the reports. I've also been told by someone else that the PD is only required to give you the front copy of the report which does not have any narratives or core information on it. Is all of this correct? Looking for info from someone that knows about this type of thing. Thank you.

racer72

Police reports are not subject to the Freedom of Information Act. If the reports are used against someone in a court action and are submitted as evidence, the reports would become public record and available to anyone.

JETX

"I need to know what the usual procedure is for being able to obtain copies of police reports, and if one is able to receive the ENTIRE copy of a police report or only the front page?"
*** The "Texas Public Information Act" (Government Code, Chapter 552) provides for public access to most government records and for sale of copies of such records, including Police Reports. The Transportation Code (550.065) addresses the release of accident reports and sets fees for copies. The Texas Administrative Code (1 TAC 111.16 - .70) also addresses the cost of copies of open records (fees charged to the public for each copy of a record).

Contact your local police department and ask for a 'records request form'.

However, depending on the type of incident reported, you may NOT get the ENTIRE report as you requested. There are certain types of incidents where information in the report would be personal and/or confidential.

Last edited:
M

momof3kiddos

Thanks JETX...

for your answer. I appreciate it. The reports are against a 14 year old who has been accused of making "terroristic threats." Does this make any difference?

racer72...I'm not sure that is correct. There was an incident in our local paper about a school board member who made verbal threats against someone, however, the police didn't file charges. A reporter, through the FOIA, was able to get copies of the police reports made and talked about them in a newspaper article. The school board member stated that he never even knew he was being investigated....

JETX

"The reports are against a 14 year old who has been accused of making "terroristic threats." Does this make any difference?"
*** Yep. Unless this is YOUR 14 year old, you will not be able to get that JUVENILE report.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">