• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Getting internet service in a rooming house in my name

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Liudas

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

Greetings.

I am not sure if this is the proper forum for this query, but here it goes:

I live in a rooming house and rent my own private room. I want to get Time Warner internet service in my name to be used only by me in my room.

The landlord has not allowed this, because he is afraid he would be liable if a tenant engages in any illegal activity using that internet service.

I want to convince him that if the account is open in my name and I am the only one using the service, that he would in no way be liable for anything that occurs using that service in my name. Is that correct? If so, is there any document I can show him stating that he would not be liable for anything if the account is opened in my name?

Thanks.

Liudas

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

Greetings.

I am not sure if this is the proper forum for this query, but here it goes:

I live in a rooming house and rent my own private room. I want to get Time Warner internet service in my name to be used only by me in my room.

The landlord has not allowed this, because he is afraid he would be liable if a tenant engages in any illegal activity using that internet service.

I want to convince him that if the account is open in my name and I am the only one using the service, that he would in no way be liable for anything that occurs using that service in my name. Is that correct? If so, is there any document I can show him stating that he would not be liable for anything if the account is opened in my name?

Thanks.

Liudas
He's right. If it's installed at his house, he could be liable.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">