• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Getting my laptop back

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Texas
So a while back a search warrant was issued on my room .the FBI took my laptop and my external drive. This was about three months ago, I still haven't received any of my stuff back nor have any files been charged. If I contacted the judge who issued the search warrant to take my stuff and told him that I needed it all back for school, do you think I would have any chance of getting it back? Or how else could I go about doing this?

CdwJava

The judge is not likely to communicate with you on the matter. If you need it back, you will probably have to consult an attorney. Given the cost of an attorney, I suspect that you should get another computer.

Depending on the crime, they have years to bring charges. Unless you have an attorney that can file the proper motions to try and force an issue, they aren't going to give it up on a whim.

You can always try calling the investigator and asking when/if you can get it back, but chances are they will want to ask you some questions so this is NOT a good idea.

Consult an attorney.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">