• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Getting reimbursed more than once for the same expenses

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Minnesota

I am the president of a local union. A member of my union approached me with an allegation that two members of the union have been getting reimbursed by more than one organization for the same expenses and have also claimed these reimbursed expenses as union/business on their income taxes. Here's an example: they go to training and submit to get all of their expenses reimbursed by the regional and by the state union organizations. The organizations involved are the local union, a regional body of the union, the state union, and the employer.

These two union members are involved in the leadership of the local, regional, and state unions and they are in lower level leadership positions with our employer.

After listening to the person making the allegations, I think there could be validity in what he told me. The dilemma for me is that we don't, at this point, have any evidence. I would like to have the allegations investigated. I am not sure how to do this without putting myself in legal trouble (slander?) in case the allegations are unfounded. I also would hate to bring forward these allegations and find out that they are false.

The dollar amount we are talking about is several thousands of dollars for each of them per year going back at least five years.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Perhaps a review of all reimbursements in the organization is in order (also known as an audit.)

I have all of their reimbursement records for the local, so that part is taken care of. I'm not sure how to proceed with the other organizations.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I have all of their reimbursement records for the local, so that part is taken care of. I'm not sure how to proceed with the other organizations.
How about a phone call stating "I have some concerns about the reimbursement system and would suggest an audit. I have my records available if you would like to proceed with such an audit."

How about a phone call stating "I have some concerns about the reimbursement system and would suggest an audit. I have my records available if you would like to proceed with such an audit."
Well, that's so simple and logical that I wish I would have thought of it. Thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">