• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

getting someone drunk to take advantage of them financially

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

belayd

This is a theoretical question that arose from a discussion in a poker forum.

The theoretical situation is a poker pro getting a fellow player drunk in order to win money from him at the poker table. (The core discussion is whether this makes him a bad pro or not a pro at all, but I don't expect the members here to address that.)

I (a Canadian) stated that getting someone drunk is not a crime. My interlocutor (who is Scottish) replied that getting someone drunk in order to take financial advantage of them _is_ a crime.

Kindly address whether--and where--it's a criminal offense to get someone drunk in order to take financial advantage of them, as well as associated issues.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
This is a theoretical question that arose from a discussion in a poker forum.

The theoretical situation is a poker pro getting a fellow player drunk in order to win money from him at the poker table. (The core discussion is whether this makes him a bad pro or not a pro at all, but I don't expect the members here to address that.)

I (a Canadian) stated that getting someone drunk is not a crime. My interlocutor (who is Scottish) replied that getting someone drunk in order to take financial advantage of them _is_ a crime.

Kindly address whether--and where--it's a criminal offense to get someone drunk in order to take financial advantage of them, as well as associated issues.
1: US LAW ONLY
2: We don't "do" hypotheticals...sorry.

xylene

You don't "get" someone drunk. People chose to drink. If you aare somehow secretly giving alcohol or intoxicants to someone that is another matter.

This is largely an academic point, as gambling is broadly illegal.

belayd

This is largely an academic point, as gambling is broadly illegal.
I gather that people here are rather unfriendly to newcomers. I am sorry to have bothered you.

In terms of gambling being "broadly illegal," that might be true of some places in the United States, but in the U.K. (where my interlocutor lives) it is perfectly legal and even regulated. I'm also very surprised to hear that gambling is illegal in Nevada.

Thank you for your reply.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It's less an issue with your being a newcomer as that you are asking us for law in the UK and/or Canada when this is a US law website. The laws are not identical from country to country and we have no experts on UK or Canadian law here, save one individual who works in employment law.

We also are not prone to answering hypotheticals as the answers can change with the facts. Without a specific set of real facts, there's no way to provide an accurate answer.

Mass_Shyster

The laws are not identical from country to country and we have no experts on UK or Canadian law here, save one individual who works in employment law.
I think strapping someone down and pouring alcohol down their throat would be considered battery in all common law jurisdictions, including the US, Canada, and Scotland.

That's the only way I know to get someone drunk.

xylene

If you were asking about Nevada and not nowhere in particular

I gather that people here are rather unfriendly to newcomers. I am sorry to have bothered you.

In terms of gambling being "broadly illegal," that might be true of some places in the United States, but in the U.K. (where my interlocutor lives) it is perfectly legal and even regulated. I'm also very surprised to hear that gambling is illegal in Nevada.

Thank you for your reply.
Then maybe your objection might have an ounce of merit.

In the majority of of US states, gambling is illegal.

davew128

I think strapping someone down and pouring alcohol down their throat would be considered battery in all common law jurisdictions, including the US, Canada, and Scotland.

That's the only way I know to get someone drunk.
However in the Republic of Ireland I believe it is not only legal, it is mandatory in order to do business.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">