• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Graduate application Forgery

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PaulBaril

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland
A friend of mine applied to a university in Washington state with a fake masters degree. He holds a masters degree but from another university than the one listed on his degree. The transcripts and letters of recommendations were also forged. He was caught By the university in June 2007. He was charged in February 2008 and made a deferred sentence deal with the prosecutor in April 2008. Meanwhile he moved to Maryland where he had applied to another school with the same fake masters degree, transcripts and letters of recommendations(all fake). He applied to the university in Maryland in September 2007 before he went to court for the previous forgery charge. After he made a deal with the prosecutor in WA state, he quit the university in Maryland as well. In June 2008 a police officer called him from Maryland and said that he was investigating his case because somebody called from WA state and warned them that his application documents were fake. My friend told the officer the truth. The officer did not say if he was charging him with anything and did not say anything else. My friend moved to another state since May 2008 after he left the university in Maryland and before the officer called him on his cell phone(in late June).

1. Since the application to the university in Maryland(September 2007) was before the deal with the prosecutor(May 2008) will this new charge (if indeed he is charged) be a reason for the WA prosecutor to call the deal over, I mean the deferment of the sentence or can it affect it in any way?

2. Even if he has left the university in Maryland, can the police officer still charge him with a crime after he discovered that his application to the university had a fake diploma?

3. How can he know if there is a charge pending? Should he recontact the police officer another time and ask if he is charged with a crime?

Thank you very much.

1. Since the application to the university in Maryland(September 2007) was before the deal with the prosecutor(May 2008) will this new charge (if indeed he is charged) be a reason for the WA prosecutor to call the deal over, I mean the deferment of the sentence or can it affect it in any way?
Since this is July I assume that the deal was made. That deal will stand but I am sure he will lose it if charged and convicted of the same crime less than a year later.

2. Even if he has left the university in Maryland, can the police officer still charge him with a crime after he discovered that his application to the university had a fake diploma?
Yes

3. How can he know if there is a charge pending? Should he recontact the police officer another time and ask if he is charged with a crime?
He can call back and inquire whether or not he has a case pending.

PaulBaril

How much would a lawyer cost for a case like this?

What can he expect in terms of deals? Another deferred sentence?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">