• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grand Jury sending felony to misdemeanor court?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mattmiller714

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Kentucky

Ok so I was charged with a 4th degree assault no visible injury in kentucky after I called the police on my spouse when I couldn't get them to stop hitting me. They were charged with visible injury because the marks were clear all over my body. I plead not guilty self defence but the case was sent to grand jury for felony because of priors. When indictments came around the grand jury found no cause and sent it back down to misdemeanor court. My question is what is happening? Am I being recharged with the same crime the grand jury found no cause for or is this just standard procedure.

CavemanLawyer

The Grand Jury found insufficient evidence to charge the felony. They either recommended misdemeanor charges or made no recommendation at all. Either way the district attorney's office can and apparently are still charging you with a misdemeanor for this incident.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">