• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grand Larceny

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

noone

What is the name of your state? Virginia

Hi everyone,

Two of my friends that live in VA Beach were arrested last Tuesday for grand larceny. They stole things for more than $1000. They are foreigners and they came here with J1 visa just for the summer. Their visas will expire on October 21st. They are still in jail and the next court date is set to be October 17. I am really worried about them. They have clean records. What do you think can happen with them? Do you think they will get deported, how long is sentence for grand larceny?

Thanks for inputs.

pojo2

One would hope deportation all we need in our country is two more thugs! This of course is not a legal opinion.

noone

Of course we don't. However, someone is not guilty until other ways proved. I ask for opinions regarding their sentence IF they find them guilty. Thank you.

noone

garrula lingua said:
Jail first, then deportation. INS has improved their process of picking up foreign violators.
There is no such organization as INS, there is USCIS and DHS but no more INS. I think so too, they will probably be deported, but since this is their first crime (and hopefully last) they might be released and not sent to prison. I don't know, that's why I asked.

garrula lingua

It's actually ICE (Immigration and Customs Enforcement) under the Dept of Homeland Security......
but they are still the same ineffective INS; just that now, they are dragging down Customs Investigations, which was one of the best Federal agencies.

but, immigr. is getting better at their job - your friends will be deported, never to return.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">