• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grand Theft accusation by employer - Oregon

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

typal0

My employer believes someone was stealing money from their establishment. They suspect me and have since fired me and are holding my last paycheck. However police have yet to file charges. They tried to question me once, and claimed they had video evidence, threatened me with the charges and so forth. I didn't say anything to them. Then they scheduled a meeting with me where they offered to help me if I worked with them in this case. They said their video looks like I slipped money out of the till up My sleeve. I told them I'd like lawyer present before I spoke with them at all. They left and still have yet to arrest or charge me. So at this point I not only want to look into getting ahead of the game for my defense but also see if i have any recourse for the financial burden they have caused me. I lost my job, they won't pay me for the last of my wages, and we live in a small community so all the other businesses in the area have heard and i can't find any work. I'm about to lose my apartment too. What can I do? Please help.

eerelations

It's perfectly legal to fire an employee on suspicion of theft, even if it's never proved. So you have no legal recourse there. However you may be entitled to UI benefits - when you applied for UI benefits, what did the UI people tell you?

Regarding your pay, you can get that easily by filing a claim with your state or the federal DOL. You absolutely do not need a lawyer to do this.

Finally, don't speak to your former employer again, with or without a lawyer. If the police contact you and if you are charged, then you hire a lawyer and speak to the police only on your lawyer's advice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">