• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grand Theft/Larceny

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

Dizdain32

California

My 14 year old daughter stole $5 dollars and some cds from a school locker. She had a friend with her that stole cell phones, cds, make-up, and an undisclosed amount of money. They were both caught that day and my daughter turned in what she stole. The girl who took more gave some of her stuff to a boyfriend to sell and I'm not sure if it was ever recovered.
The girl admitted to taking the rest of the stuff and witnesses verified to that fact.
Now, my daughter is being charged with Grand Theft of Personal Property and 13 counts of Commit Petty Theft, Larceny.
We have a hearing in a few weeks and I don't know what I can do. Is she being charged with all of the items stolen because she was with the girl? Is there a way that the judge can be told my daughter did not take and try to sell the stolen property?
I cannot afford a lawyer due to recently being laid off. My daughter is an honor roll student and has never been in trouble prior to this. She admits that what she did was stupid and she doesn't know why she even did it.
I am afraid of what will happen to her. Will she only receive probation or will they sentence her because of all of the counts?
Any advice is appreciated.
Thank you,
Diz

JETX

"Is she being charged with all of the items stolen because she was with the girl?"
*** Presumably, yes. The fact that she was involved in the TOTAL theft, makes her cupable for the TOTAL theft.

"Is there a way that the judge can be told my daughter did not take and try to sell the stolen property?"
*** Of course. However, that would probably have little relevance since she is just as guilty as the person who took the other property. Theft is theft.

"I cannot afford a lawyer due to recently being laid off."
*** If you meet certain income and asset requirements, an attorney will be appointed to represent her.

"My daughter is an honor roll student and has never been in trouble prior to this. She admits that what she did was stupid and she doesn't know why she even did it."
*** That will NOT affect her guilt or innocence, but may be of help in the sentencing.

"I am afraid of what will happen to her. Will she only receive probation or will they sentence her because of all of the counts?"
*** No one can answer that question for you. Simply, it is entirely up to the prosecutor to present the case and the court to set punishment as they see fit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">