• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Guilty or not?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

gregruss

Ok...here is the deal. I had gone out one night and had a few beers. After I realized I was unable to drive, I left the bar and sat in the passenger seat of my car and waited for someone to pick me up. After a few minutes I noticed a cop knocking on my window, so I ogt out to talk to him. Well as soon as I took a step out, he cuffed me and charged me with public intoxication. I am underage, but what I'm wanting to know is whether or not I should plead guilty or not guilty. The officer never gave me any kind of sobriety test or anything of that nature. Any advice would be very helpful.

R

RedneckRoy

Circumstantial evidence will say you are guilty as sin. You go and try to explain to the judge what you were doing crashed out in your car in front of a bar. Besides, "public intoxication" is very misleading. You ain't gotta be intoxicated to get a PI. You got alcohol on the breath and you can get it.

H

Humble Warrior

Somehow....I suspect this is 1/10th of the truth.
If you want HONEST help......you have got to be HONEST.....we dont care what you did or why,just be HONEST....that is the only way we can help.

R

RedneckRoy

Humble Warrior their story sounds reasonable to me. About 10 years ago my uncle went out partying one night. He got himself chitfaced and couldn't drive. He got into his car, put the keys in the ignition and turned it so he could have the radio. He kicked back and crashed out. An hour later he was being arrested for DWI because he had the keys in the ignition.

Many a cop out there are good cops, just trying to do their job. Then again, many a cop out there are A-holes, on power trips, etc. Those are the ones you don't want to come across.

calatty

Whether someone sitting in a private vehicle is guilty of public intoxication is at least debatable. Don't plead guilty, get a lawyer.

R

RedneckRoy

calatty said:
Whether someone sitting in a private vehicle is guilty of public intoxication is at least debatable. Don't plead guilty, get a lawyer.
The moment they stepped out of the car they were in public.

Did you know you can get arrested for public intoxication for drinking inside of a bar? It's true, I was busted for that once.

G

gregruss

it's all good....i went to court last fri and the officer never showed up so it was dropped.....as far as the truth of the story.....that is what happened....i got so chitty i called someone to get me....i crashed in the pass. seat of my car and waited....well the cop knocked and i got out (big mistake) and that's when he got me

S

SheDezy

I know how it goes

I've been there bro. One night, about 6 cops were standing just outside the front door of a bar. They were picking people at random and loading up the wagon. Don't get me wrong. I was drunk as hell. No question I was publicly intoxicated. But still, I wasn't driving that night, I wasn't doing anything 'wrong.' Some cops were just looking to make some B.S. collars that night. Kudos to them! 'Cause I spent the night with at least 50 others.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">