• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Gulf Coast Looting Defenses

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jyoung

What is the name of your state? curious in FL

been watching the news coverage of the widespread looting, was curious whether there is actually a legal defense for stealing supplies if you feel your life is in jeopardy? I'm not advocating looting, I think it sucks but if I was left with the shirt on my back and the rising river even I might have evil thoughts.

Plus, looks like some of the local gendarmes were helping themselves according to news reports..

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

jyoung said:
What is the name of your state? curious in FL

been watching the news coverage of the widespread looting, was curious whether there is actually a legal defense for stealing supplies if you feel your life is in jeopardy? I'm not advocating looting, I think it sucks but if I was left with the shirt on my back and the rising river even I might have evil thoughts.

Plus, looks like some of the local gendarmes were helping themselves according to news reports..

My response:

In this situation, the emergency itself is a legal defense. There is a legal and moral difference between this, and say, the Rodney King or Watts riots. The difference being the doctrines of "imminent peril" or "imminent death;" i.e., "immediate and substantial harm"

IAAL

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">