• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Gun discharge in Neighborhoods

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

djsmith1030

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

I live in Ohio and with the different laws it's hard to find something concrete. First of all, I live in a township, not city. City limits and townships are two different things. My question is in regards to discharging a firearm in a neighborhood. The County Police say they have a right to shoot on their private property, I say that's fine if they didn't live less then 100 feet from everyone else. I know when you hunt you are not suppose to shoot within 'x' amount of buildings and roadways so why is it because I live in a Township, we can shoot in a neighborhood. Hopefully there is a law or loophole I have missed. Thanks for any help.

FlyingRon

I see nothing in the ohio statutes that gives a hoot about city or townships other than perhaps the City or Township might have enacted ordinances of its own.
The laws bar firing guns on roads, in, over, or near cemetaries, into or on the property of parks, churches, inhabited dwellings, etc.. except for your own property.

There's no 100 foot rule. They can't fire on or into your property, but if they keep it within their own, they are fine.

djsmith1030

Thanks for the input. That is what I found also. I just need to prove they are shooting off the property which I am sure they are missing the tree they use has a backstop. There is an old shed back there that might have bullet holes in it and if it does maybe we can get something done. The prosecutor said we need evidence they are off the property and maybe some video of the drinking and shooting...Wish me luck

BOR

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

I live in Ohio and with the different laws it's hard to find something concrete. First of all, I live in a township, not city. City limits and townships are two different things. My question is in regards to discharging a firearm in a neighborhood. The County Police say they have a right to shoot on their private property, I say that's fine if they didn't live less then 100 feet from everyone else. I know when you hunt you are not suppose to shoot within 'x' amount of buildings and roadways so why is it because I live in a Township, we can shoot in a neighborhood. Hopefully there is a law or loophole I have missed. Thanks for any help.
I live in Ohio also. Cite in the ORC what you reference.

Townships can only pass Resolutions, fineable, but not jailable.

Generally, local law may not conflict with state law. If state law forbids shooting as you say, that is it on this matter.

djsmith1030

Because of this law, ORC 2923.162 Discharge of a firearm on or near prohibited premises...you have the right to shoot on private property has long as it's your property. The tree they are shooting at is directly perpendicular with a road. If you miss the tree, it's headed to the road. We have no proof it's gone over the road. I can not believe lack of common senseis going to override this. Somebody is going to get hurt with automatic guns going off in a neighborhood of children. Thanks for the replies everyone.

Dave1952

Since the law seems to support your neighbors and you feel that the tree is an inadequate back stop, why not buy them some hay bales? This would be far cheaper than any legal action that you could try. $50 should get you half a dozen hay bales.

Good luck

djsmith1030

Good point on the hay bales, we will make them Plan B.I may have found my answer. Upon further review and thanks to property taxes being open to the public, they are not even shooting on their own property which puts them in violation of ORC 2923.162 of discharging on your own property. We are going to ask the owner of the area if he gave them permission to shoot. If not, I do believe the law will be called! Gotcha!!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">