• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Gun door

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Zim3555

I live in newyork and I had an interestins legal inquiry. If I were to rig my doors and windows so that if they were opened by someone other than myself the individula would be shot. What legal ramifications would there be? Would it make any difference if I were to place signs explicitly stateing that this would happen?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

cyjeff

You are knowingly creating a potentially fatal hazard to the general public.

This would be unwise.

Like jumping off a cliff to see if you can bounce unwise.

Come up with a better way to protect your things that doesn't involve depriving someone else of their health and/or life.

Criminal and civil liabilities abound.

FlyingRon

First if, it's explicitly illegal to have such a trap set PERIOD in New York.
If someone is injured or killed, you open yourself up to possible homicide charges.
No amount of disclaimer makes this legal.

Then there's the whole part of civil liability.

Often the victims of this misguided security are firefighters trying to protect the same property you were trying to defend. This makes your proposed behavior even more sociopathic.

This makes your proposed behavior even more sociopathic.
He has exhibited any behavior except for asking a question .. I see no psychopathic issue in asking.

The answer is no of course, you cannot place land mines on you land etc. That's not very friendly do do.

Zim3555

Well this is all good to know Im actually homeless right now I'll keep all this in mind when I'm boobytraping my cardboard box. Im not a sociopath or psychopathic in any way I'm just one of those people that marches to the beat of a different band so don't get your panties in a twist.

cyjeff

Well this is all good to know Im actually homeless right now I'll keep all this in mind when I'm boobytraping my cardboard box. Im not a sociopath or psychopathic in any way I'm just one of those people that marches to the beat of a different band so don't get your panties in a twist.
I am glad that when you get back on your feet the first thing you will look to purchase is a firearm.

slwslw

Illegal

You can only use lethal force in defense of yourself or another. If you're not home you can't use self-defense as a legal defense, because you aren't there.

Keep in mind there are many legal reasons that people can enter your house without permission. Such as police serving a warrant, rescuers, apartment managament personnel. If you die and your house goes into foreclosure or is sold by the county for unpaid taxes, eventually someone will legally enter the house.

You can't kill them. Why not use an alarm ???

I live in newyork and I had an interestins legal inquiry. If I were to rig my doors and windows so that if they were opened by someone other than myself the individula would be shot. What legal ramifications would there be? Would it make any difference if I were to place signs explicitly stateing that this would happen?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
This might be OK in Louisiana .... not in NY ..

Proserpina

Hey, good idea for music band names; Dead Thread, Grateful Dead Thread.
Two more:

Ungrateful Dead Thread.

Those Who Don't Seem To Get The Point.*

*This one might present a problem in terms of small fonts and all that stuff. Practicality and all that.

(Isn't it great to see how much George loves me, though? We're so thrilled!)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">