• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

gun law question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Ohio

tonight a city police officer pulled up to the end of my driveway. He informed me that someone drove by and saw me in my back yard with a rifle. He informed me that I could not carry ANY firearm, loaded or not in any public place, including my own property, with out being subject to arrest.

Does Ohio state law have any thing like this, and would a city law over rule a state law. I am in a city limit, with about 2000 people. the city is East Palestine if it helps.

Some Random Guy

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/gp9.68

which includes:
Except as specifically provided by the United States Constitution, Ohio Constitution, state law, or federal law, a person, without further license, permission, restriction, delay, or process, may own, possess, purchase, sell, transfer, transport, store, or keep any firearm, part of a firearm, its components, and its ammunition.
http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923.12
prohibisition against carrying a concealed weapon

plus numerous other laws against guns in liquor stores, schools and courthouses, shooting from moving vehicles and watercraft, persons who are not authorized to have them for mental reasons, domestic violence, felony convictions, etc.

What I suspect the officer is claiming is that by being in view of the public with a firearm, you may be alarming people and thereby disturbing the peace, or some similar violation.

The gun was not concealed in any way. It was not loaded. I was in my back yard, it is fenced in. I was not visible from the street in front of my house. Someone would have to crank their neck to see through the trees from the side road (where the officer said I was spotted from). He made it clear that it is unlawful to carry ANY gun loaded or not in any public place. I asked for clarification, and he said anywhere outside of my house.

He by default said I could not walk out of my house to my car with a unloaded rifle without committing a crime, making me subject to arrest.

I am thinking about going to the police station and asking for a copy of the law the officer stated.

He also said carrying a BB gun or sling shot were against the law. even if they are not loaded.

CdwJava

There may be a municipal code against displaying weapons in public ... or, he may have been exagerating the law a tad.

I'd be a little nervous if my neighbor was tracking around his backyard carrying a rifle for the heck of it, too - and I LIVE in gun country!

- Carl

mistoffolees

The gun was not concealed in any way. It was not loaded. I was in my back yard, it is fenced in. I was not visible from the street in front of my house. Someone would have to crank their neck to see through the trees from the side road (where the officer said I was spotted from). He made it clear that it is unlawful to carry ANY gun loaded or not in any public place. I asked for clarification, and he said anywhere outside of my house.

He by default said I could not walk out of my house to my car with a unloaded rifle without committing a crime, making me subject to arrest.

I am thinking about going to the police station and asking for a copy of the law the officer stated.

He also said carrying a BB gun or sling shot were against the law. even if they are not loaded.
Sounds like someone got the story wrong. By that standard, every single hunter in the world would be a criminal.

The Supreme Court recently clarified this, but even before that, NO ONE was claiming that simply carrying a hunting rifle or BB gun on your own property was illegal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">