• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Gun Ownership

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kaos

What is the name of your state?PA Got a drug charge 35 years ago <two years probation>. Can I own a shoot gun now? Have a clean record ever since,no drug school or anything.<who said you can't kick drugs on your own????>

S

seniorjudge

Kaos said:
What is the name of your state?PA Got a drug charge 35 years ago <two years probation>. Can I own a shoot gun now? Have a clean record ever since,no drug school or anything.<who said you can't kick drugs on your own????>
Congratulations.

Give us background on the charge:

Felony?

State?

Date of conviction?

Statute number of conviction?

Also Google felony conviction gun ownership

Kaos

Thanks

sorry all thoese reocerds are lost with the death of my perants. I was just graspinng at straws I guess Thanks

S

seniorjudge

Kaos said:
sorry all thoese reocerds are lost with the death of my perants. I was just graspinng at straws I guess Thanks
Tell us what you remember. Also the state has records of all that stuff.

ALSO go to a gun store and ask them what the requirements are for buying a shot gun. I bought all my guns several years ago and have not bought new ones lately.

The forms I had to sign were exceptionally stupid: Are you a dope addict? Are you running from the law? Etc. If I WERE, would I answer those stupid questions truthfully?

Kaos

IN Johnstown PA, 1970 May, or June Plebarganed to simple pose. from sells of pot. local police only didn't get finger printed or picture taken.<don't know why?> can't type two fingering this....SORRY Jack

ENASNI

uh oh

seniorjudge said:
Tell us what you remember. Also the state has records of all that stuff.

ALSO go to a gun store and ask them what the requirements are for buying a shot gun. I bought all my guns several years ago and have not bought new ones lately.

The forms I had to sign were exceptionally stupid: Are you a dope addict? Are you running from the law? Etc. If I WERE, would I answer those stupid questions truthfully?
Da Judge got guns :eek: ... gotta stop hounding him now... uh oh.... shoot!

Oh I didn't mean to say shoot no... no... nooo not shoot. shucks..
I meant shucks.
(Phew... hope that threw him) :eek:

Bravo8

I'm a bit of a gun nut, so I'll see if I can help.

For starters, do you have a cirminal record? You said you were not fingerprinted or photographed. The lack of fingerprints being submitted to the State would leave me to believe this probably isn't entered in your history.

Regardless, the section relating to his issue deals with "firearms", which is specifically defined as "Any pistol or revolver with a barrel length less than 15 inches, any shotgun with a barrel length less than 18 inches or any rifle with a barrel length less than 16 inches, or any pistol, revolver, rifle or shotgun with an overall length of less than 26 inches."

A shotgun exceeding the above measurements is not termed as a "firearm", and is therefore not subject to the provisions of The Uniform Firearms Act, Section 6105.

Even more interesting, is that the section prohibits any person from possessing, owning, etc a firearm if that person was convicted of a violation of the "act of April 14, 1972 (P.L.233, No.64), known as The Controlled Substance, Drug, Device and Cosmetic Act" (which is the act under which drug offenses are prosecuted). As you can see, this law was enacted in 1972, 2 years after your conviction. You obviously weren't convicted uner this Act, and the section makes no provisions for pervious statutes or simialr statutes under Pennsylvania law.

So the short answer is - I think you are fine to buy a long gun and even a pistol, if you so choose.

One of the easiest ways to find out is to simply go buy the gun. If you are buying a firearm (as defined by law), or you buy a shotgun/rifle from a shop who chooses to use the Insta-check system even though it's not required (like Wal-Mart), you will certainly find out that you cannot make the purchase when they deny you. There is no specific law prohibiting you from attempting to purchase, and you would not get in any trouble if you are prohibited.

Just to reiterate, it doesn't apply to shotguns or rifles, and a local gun shop should know that.

S

seniorjudge

ENASNI said:

I meant shucks.
I am allowed by state law to carry a concealed weapon without a permit. If I did, I would shoot my dang self...by accident, of course.

rmet4nzkx

ENASNI said:

I meant shucks.
He lives in MO, they give tickets for not having a gun.

well

For some garsh darn reason I don't see him takin a train over to Texas and
a handin one to your patient Hmclueless either. :rolleyes:

Have a nice sunday Doc... I sure like ya. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">