• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

gun theft

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

temple

Texas. I owned 2 pistols....1 I had purchased from a gun dealer and the other was left to me by my grandfather after his passing and was the "pride of his collection". Two years ago my fiancee left me and, among other items, he took the two guns. I have been requesting, through my lawyer, to have them returned but he has refused.

Can I report them as stolen this late in the game??? If I do, what are the consequences?? I really do not care about any of the other things he took....I just want the guns, especially my grandfather's.

Any advice?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
You can report them as stolen if you did not give them to him. He may not be facing charges but give it a try.

racer72

You will likely find the police will tell you it is a civil, not a criminal issue and you will have to sue to retrieve your property.

temple

My ex has since bought a home with a woman. I never considered this with only my ex having them, but since my guns are now obviously in her possession also, should I not somehow alert the police??? I do not know her but am aware she has a history with instability and problems with the law. Wouldn't it be my responsibility if, God forbid, she used them in a crime?

Some Random Guy

sue to retrieve your property - or the value of your property.

If she has not been convicted of a felony or otherwise had her rights to own firearms suspended, then she can legally posses and live in a home with guns.

temple

Thanks for your advice. I am only looking for the return of the guns. To me the sentimental value is worth a million dollars. He knows that and that is why I guess I thought at the end of the day they would be returned, but it is clear now that is not on his agenda. I would really like to avoid going back to court and spending any more money on this guy. I share title to a Harley Davidson Mototcycle (paid off/no loans outstanding) he has possession of. It is his pride and joy. Maybe by taking custody of it, I can use the leverage to have the guns returned? I know it sounds a little cheezy, but understand that I just paid over 15k to his ch 7 bankruptcy trustee to keep the court from seizing and selling my property he claimed to have an interest in when he filed, and never owned not paid a dime towards. I am just tired (and honestly cant afford) to keep forking out $.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">