• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Handguns (Under 21, Over 18) In Self-Defense?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

randomoutburst

(My apologies if this is not in the correct forum, I didn't really know where to put this.)

I live in Texas, where it is legal for a person under 21 (but over 18) to own a handgun. It is illegal for a person under 21 to purchase a handgun from a licensed dealer, but not illegal to purchase it privately through an individual (again, if they are older than 18). It is also illegal for a person under 21 to buy handgun ammo. I have had a few people try to tell me otherwise, but go look up the actual law. It's right there, in Chapter 46 of Texas Penal Code: PENAL CODE** CHAPTER 46. WEAPONS And the Youth Handgun Safety Act states: (1) Federal law prohibits, except in certain limited circumstances, anyone under the age of 18 from knowingly pos-sessing a handgun, or any adult fromtransferring a handgun to such a minor

So, I can own a handgun if I buy it from a private seller and do whatever I want with it on my own property. I can keep it in my car as long as it's not on or around my person or in plain view (read: in the trunk) and can carry it on me to or from my vehicle.

I had a guy in a gun shop today tell me that, if an intruder were to enter my apartment and I were to shoot him(injuring or killing), I would not be charged with assault/murder/whatever, but I would *without a doubt* be taken in for illegal possession of a handgun.

Now, looking at the law, I don't think that's true.
I can legally own a handgun and use it on my own premises (not that I would in an apartment, but whatever) or at a shooting range (or hunting, I suppose). I just can't legally use it anywhere else, just like anyone over 21 without a CHL.

Anyone have solid information for me in regards to this?

(I own a shotgun and would probably use that if anyone broke in and I had time to grab it, but just for the sake of a "what if" situation....)

EDIT:
Also, if anyone can provide a link to information pertaining to carrying a loaded handgun in your vehicle (without a CHL), I would be most appreciative. According to the Texas Castle Law, a person may carry a loaded handgun in their car for personal protection provided the gun is not in plain view. What I am trying to discern is if I must be 21 to legally do so, or if I must be at least 18.

Last edited:

HappyHusband

I had a guy in a gun shop today tell me that, if an intruder were to enter my apartment and I were to shoot him(injuring or killing), I would not be charged with assault/murder/whatever, but I would *without a doubt* be taken in for illegal possession of a handgun.
That guy is wrong. Texas Penal Code Sec. 46.02
Also, if anyone can provide a link to information pertaining to carrying a loaded handgun in your vehicle (without a CHL), I would be most appreciative. According to the Texas Castle Law, a person may carry a loaded handgun in their car for personal protection provided the gun is not in plain view. What I am trying to discern is if I must be 21 to legally do so, or if I must be at least 18.
The code does not limit the right to persons 21 and over. Texas Penal Code Sec. 46.02

randomoutburst

That's what I thought, but I wanted to make sure.

Anyone know if shooting ranges are okay with under 21 shooting pistols on the range if we own them? :eek:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">