• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Harassed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kelly93230

What is the name of your state? CA
Last night I came home to my apartment from going out to dinner with some friends. I had been drinking a little bit, but I didn't drive. After I got home, I went outside to make a phone call because the reception is often better outside and it's also a change of scenery. When I was outside I noticed someone was following me around. I sat down on a rock and faced the person so I could see them more clearly and I continued to talk on the phone. This person stared at me for a few minutes and then decided to come over. From that moment on his manner was one of harassment. He asked if I lived there and wanted to see some identification. I asked him to identify himself and wanted to see some proof from him before I gave up any information. He would not oblige. He just pointed to some badge on his shirt and said he was security. I have no idea, because he was wearing all black common clothes. Any one can have a badge these days, plus his manner in approach was weird. We had also had some problems in the area recently. Anyways I tried to walk away but he kept following me and said he was going to call the police. I then went to the manager's apartment and got her to come out and talk with him. She verified who I was and where I lived and that it was unneccessary to call the police. He wasn't happy with that. He pursued his position and said he wanted the police to verify. He told her he didn't have to identify himself to her or myself and pointed to his badge on his shirt and said because he had that on. The police finally came after a long while and this guy kept following me around when I tried to go back to my apartment. I was sitting on the steps to my apartment when the police showed up. The police listened to his story and then finally to mine. I was calm and polite when I told my story but they didn't seem interested in listening. The security guy said I was a suspicious person and he thought I had drugs that I threw over the fence. He took an officer over to where I supposively threw drugs over a fence. They obviously didn't find any, but when the officer came back he badgered me and made it sound like he found something. I knew I was innocent, but suddenly felt like I was in the movies getting setup. All I was doing was using the phone outside in a lighted area sitting on a rock. He was the one in the shadows behind the dumpsters. The police took me in for public intoxication. I admit I had some to drink, but I was not loud nor was I doing anything out of the norm. I was trying to have a conversation with my girlfriend on the phone. She actually called the police when this guy was harassing me. So I went off to jail cooperatively. I was very mad, but never was my manner one to be put in jail for. No charges were filed, they just kept me there for over 6 hrs. When I asked to make a phone call, I was denied. They said I could after I got out. I just sat there in a cell for over 6 hrs. To say the least, I am very mad over the whole incident. I know I am not in any legal trouble, but I want justice. I have a respectable job in medicine, a faithful military serviceman for over 8 years and never been in trouble with the law. I feel harassed and humiliated and I just can't believe I was taken into jail over those circumstances. Please tell me if there is anything I can do to. Were these grounds to arrest someone? Can I sue the security guard or the police for harassment? Any advice would greatly be appreciated. Thank you.

A

Anabelle Delari

Do you know what Security company he was working for? Have you considered filing a complaint with the company and also to the police department. You may think not much can be accomplished, but you never know how many complaints this security officer might already have on his record. Hopefully, he will be disciplined by his employers.

K

kelly93230

Thanks, I know I have to get that information. I need to find out more about the law, so I can have some "amunnition" when I go after these people. Thanks for the advice though.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">