• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Harassment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

coyotee

What is the name of your state?
New Jersey.

MY husband is being charged with harassment, the least serious of the three classifications of this offense.
This resulted from a statement made by my husband in whch he said "that guy needs to have his a** kicked" in reference to a speaker at the podium of a local town meeting.
The charge was brought by a member of the audience that was within ear shot of the statement. He also added that my Husband then said to him "Maybe you want me to kick your a** too". My Husband did not physially threaten this man in anyway and denies making the second statement.
While it was a stupid thing to say, I do not think it qualifies as harassment. The speaker at the podium is not involved in any way in this matter. Our main concern that this man added the other statement and is bringing five witnesses to testify.

My questions are these:

Does this statement alone qualify for this charge under the states definition of Harrassment (class c)?
(there was no confrontatinal body language, no threats to kick his "a**", just a question, whih my husband denies asking)
Can we make a motion for dismissal if it does not qualify?
How does a person make a motion like that ?
Thanks for any help anyone who is familier with this can give me.

Coyotee

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">