• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Harassment - 18 PA. Cons. Stat. § 2709 A4

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hburgprofl2

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

Hi. I'm wondering if anyone has experience with this charge and what the maximum fine/penalty is for this. I have a court date in about a month and am wondering if this could be reduced to a lesser charge?

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

Hi. I'm wondering if anyone has experience with this charge and what the maximum fine/penalty is for this. I have a court date in about a month and am wondering if this could be reduced to a lesser charge?
Here is a link to the law:
http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/legis/LI/consCheck.cfm?txtType=HTM&ttl=18&div=0&chpt=27&sctn=9&subsctn=0

You were charged with a third degree misdemeanor which upon conviction can result in up to one year in jail and up to a $2500 fine.

The charge can potentially be reduced. The charge can also, potentially, be dismissed.

Your charge on harassment by words and pictures can get into First Amendment issues that are best reviewed personally by an attorney in your area. I recommend you use the month before your hearing to sit down with the attorney to go over all facts that led to the charge. The attorney can tell you after this review whether you have a chance of having the harassment charge reduced or dismissed.

Good luck.

(I am having problems with links tonight so, if this one doesn't work, I'll try to fix it later)

FlyingRon

As Quincy points out (a)(4) is a 3rd degree misd.

Best outcome: outright dismissal.
Next best outcome: reduction to summary offense at the prelim
Third best outcome: ARD - a period of probation that will result in dismissal of the charges

You need an attorney. You've got little chance to negotiate this by your self. Most of the wheeling and dealing takes place between the ADA and your attorney at the preliminary hearing/preliminary arraignment.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">