• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Harassment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

paperbackgirl

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

I have been receiving daily emails from someone I have only met on three occasions for the last two and a half years. I have told the individual to cease and threatened legal action. The individual believes that we were once in a relationship (clearly we were not) and refuses to leave me alone. I filed a report with the police who basically said there wasn't anything they could do until he threatens my safety. What about my mental health? It has been distressing to deal with these daily delusional emails. I know I could just send them to the trash bin but was advised to not delete them in the event that he DOES start to threaten me. Do I need to retain a lawyer to pursue this?

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

I have been receiving daily emails from someone I have only met on three occasions for the last two and a half years. I have told the individual to cease and threatened legal action. The individual believes that we were once in a relationship (clearly we were not) and refuses to leave me alone. I filed a report with the police who basically said there wasn't anything they could do until he threatens my safety. What about my mental health? It has been distressing to deal with these daily delusional emails. I know I could just send them to the trash bin but was advised to not delete them in the event that he DOES start to threaten me. Do I need to retain a lawyer to pursue this?
So why not change your email address? It is the much cheaper route.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
...or set up an automatic filter so that all his emails get marked as "read" and sent to their own folder...

paperbackgirl

1. changing my email address would be hugely annoying

2. i run a popular website that requires an email to be linked to it. if i change it, he will be able to get my new email address.

CdwJava

Have you looked in to the possibility of some kind of a protective order from him? That might not be available in NY but it might be worth looking in to.

If not, and if a cease and desist letter from an attorney doesn't do it, you might just consider ignoring his emails and not responding to them at all. Consider them annoying spam.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">