• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Harassment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

James1980

What is the name of your state (Tennessee)? Yes , i have a question and was hoping for answers or advice. I saw this woman on Facebook and thought she looked good and seemed nice so i sent her an email telling her Hello , how are you an etc . And she responded back and we went back and forth, well she asked me to be her friend and i accepted and i saw a telephone number on her page. So last night i call and we are talking and it gets sexual and we are both talking. Well she ask me to send her a " pic " and i do as well as a video. She had no complaints about the talking or pics but she kept asking how did i get her number because the number on the page wasnt same number. So we went back and forth texting all night with me trying to convince her thats how i got it. Well this morning i get a call from her Fiancee * who i didnt know she had ) and he is telling me they are filing Harassment charges on me and on pics i sent. I tell him im really sorry and it was a one time deal and i meant no harm. He tells me Tough Luck and if you tell me who put you up to this ill drop them. Well the thing is nobody put me up to it but they are convinced an ex of hers or somebody made me do it.. Long stry short as of right now theres no paper work saying they have filed. If it was a one time conversation and the " talking" was mutual and she asked for the pics ( even though i cant prove it because it was over phone ) do they have a case aganist me?. Ive never harassed them or anybody before or even been in trouble.. I just dont know if he will go and try or if he is just really mad and trying to scare me.. Also whats the procedure if he does , you see they live in NC and i live in TN so who would he have to file with? and would the police just call me to come in or think they would come looking for me?.. Id just appreciate any help on this..What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

James1980

Harassment Part 2

I saw the number i called her from either under her " Info " page or somewhere on her Facebook Wall but she tells me that the number on her Info page isnt the same number i called because its an old one.. So we argue back and forth about how thats how i got it but they wont believe me and keep thinking im an ex of hers or somebody messing with them. When in all reality i SWEAR i got the number i dialed from her page even though they say its a new number... I just dont know with everything ive stated before and now if i have anything to worry about or if he was just mad and making threats??. Also with them living in NC and im in TN wouldnt they have to make a report with the city im in because another state or city wouldnt come looking or worry about someone making one phonecall would they??

antrc170

You don't meet the definition of harassment, which is mean to cause emotional harm to a person. Don't contact her again obviously. Keep a copy of your phone bill, or get one, which should show the amount of time on the phone during a single phone call. You also may be able to obtain the text messages if it was a cell phone, talk to your provider. As a defense, you can show the length of time on the phone, a constant interaction via text messages, her acceptance of an email which she should have known was from you.

TN 39-17-308

James1980

So if i just talked to her once and havent bothered them since , it shouldnt be any charges coming my way?. Im only worried because he was making a big deal out of the pic and video i sent which were both " steamy " . So could they get me on Harassment for tat? , even though on the phone she was the one asking for it.. I thought Harassment was like when you call somebody multiple times or threaten them or something...

antrc170

Harassment ocurrs when you contact someone (even once) with the intent to provoke a response through intimidation or threats. You didn't intend to frighten her, or place her into a state of emotional distress. She would have a hard time explaining why she opened a video from you if she was uncomfortable with a pic you just sent. Plus why would she carry on a converstation if she was feeling uncomfortable. Why did it take her so long to go the police (if she does)? She has a lot of questions to answer that just aren't going to hold up.

If they try to file a complaint the police are most likely going to tell her "well, if he calls you again then let us know."

Don't worry about it. Move on with your life.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">