• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

harassment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TxCaramel

I'm in Texas.

I'm in need of some advice..

I moved to a townhouse a few weeks ago. Everything was cool until one night I took my dog outside to pee.

A woman was pulling out of the parking lot when she saw me and stopped. She got out and started showing me pictures of her missing dog that looked a lot like mine, she started asking questions.

I tell her this is my dog, I don't know anything about a missing dog. She said she's been missing a few months.

My mother keeps the dog mostly because of the insane pet deposit amount these town homes ask for.

Anyways I go back inside not thinking much of it until a few days later. I was out running errands when the leasing office called me saying there was missing flyers and posters posted on my door.

I had no idea what they were talking about so they sent me an email with a pic attached.

There's a poster calling me a 'dog thief' another 'I will call the police if you don't return the dog' one more saying 'bring jozie home' along with numerous missing flyers plastered on my door.

When I finally got home I noticed some of the posters were missing, it's obvious someone took a few down and rearranged the flyers on my door.

I called the cops and filed a report. But since I didn't know the woman's name and the apt number she lives in there wasn't a lot they could do. Her car was gone too, pretty convenient.

My mom thinks I should file harassment charges against this woman. After looking at the pic the leasing office emailed me I now see 1 of the posters she took down had an apartment number on it in small writing.

I saw her car this morning and I now have the license plate number. Do I have a case against her here?

She got me in hot water with the leasing office now. They called me saying posting flyers and posters were illegal and It's a lease violation for having a pet there. (Shes at my mom's home)

What should I do here

dave33

I'm in Texas.

I'm in need of some advice..

I moved to a townhouse a few weeks ago. Everything was cool until one night I took my dog outside to pee.

A woman was pulling out of the parking lot when she saw me and stopped. She got out and started showing me pictures of her missing dog that looked a lot like mine, she started asking questions.

I tell her this is my dog, I don't know anything about a missing dog. She said she's been missing a few months.

My mother keeps the dog mostly because of the insane pet deposit amount these town homes ask for.

Anyways I go back inside not thinking much of it until a few days later. I was out running errands when the leasing office called me saying there was missing flyers and posters posted on my door.

I had no idea what they were talking about so they sent me an email with a pic attached.

There's a poster calling me a 'dog thief' another 'I will call the police if you don't return the dog' one more saying 'bring jozie home' along with numerous missing flyers plastered on my door.

When I finally got home I noticed some of the posters were missing, it's obvious someone took a few down and rearranged the flyers on my door.

I called the cops and filed a report. But since I didn't know the woman's name and the apt number she lives in there wasn't a lot they could do. Her car was gone too, pretty convenient.

My mom thinks I should file harassment charges against this woman. After looking at the pic the leasing office emailed me I now see 1 of the posters she took down had an apartment number on it in small writing.

I saw her car this morning and I now have the license plate number. Do I have a case against her here?

She got me in hot water with the leasing office now. They called me saying posting flyers and posters were illegal and It's a lease violation for having a pet there. (Shes at my mom's home)

What should I do here

You have already done it. You have filed a report/complaint. It is now up to the police whether or not to file charges, that is not within your power.

As far as getting you in trouble with your lease, not much you can do there. You may feel wronged, but it pretty much ends there. goodluck.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
It seems unbelievable that the management company thinks YOU stuck that stuff to your door. Did you file a formal complaint with the management folks?

TxCaramel

I didn't file a complaint with management. I just called them when I got home to explain The situation, but I guess that's my next step now.

Her building is next to mine, so I'm stuck seeing her for a year now. Pretty bold of her to do Something like that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">