• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Harassment by dog. What can I do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

Barry Whittier

What is the name of your state? California

I have rented a guest house on a property for 6 years. The owner of the property moved out of the main house two years ago and rented it to her daughter and husband. Nine months ago my neighbors brought home a medium sized German Shepard (probably a mix) female dog.

This dog from the start has exhibited very aggressive behavior. Not only to me, but others as well, but not everyone. There has been a few instances where the dog has been loose in the common yard that I must transit to get to my residence and attacked me, although I was able to escape without being bit. I have acquired some peper spray and had to use it twice to escape. I have now purchased an ultrasonic dog deterent device. This dog does continually menace me from inside the house, from behind a screen door (the two pepper spray insidenced occured when this screen was left 'inadvertently' unlatched) or from the fenced area next to my residence (from which it barks and continues to menace). I have filed a complaint with the police regarding the menacing behaviour, but the officer who responded only witnessed the dog locked up in the house.

I have spoken to the owner a number of times, written letters to the owner and the property owner, and still nothing has improved. I believe the owner of the dog is harassing me with this viscious dog.

OK, backgound over, what can I do? Can I get a restraining order against the dog!? Should I prosocute the owner for assault or harassment? Any advice would be very helpfull. Thanks in advance.

B

brake pedal

check with your local...

Check with your local district attorneys office to see if there are any criminal charges that can be placed against the dog owner.
If so, get details of what behavior must be evidenced in order to press charges. Then get a camera to carry along with the pepper spray, to get photographic evidence of the behavior.
In this area the charge is called "allowing a vicious animal to run at large."

Then again around here the animal control officer tells you if it’s on your property, property you are authorized to use, or common property to "shoot it". I would be very careful about that if I were you. That could be more serious than the bite.

N

nhunsb1

Actually in Los Angeles it is legal to shoot a dangerous animal. HOWEVER if you can have the animal documented as dangerous the pet owners must take certain steps to protect the welfare of others (see link from my previous post). If this is not done the animal will be confiscated and properly taken care of (training, replacement, or to euthanize the animal if the behavior is deemed untreatable).

HomeGuru

Writer, how many times have you called the police or the proper animal agency and made a formal complaint?

B

Barry Whittier

Thanks for the replies.
Moving would be easiest, but isn't that giving in? If I'm forced to move I want them to share my pain.

The link is excellent, just what I needed. I will check with the LA County District Attorny's office. I see they have a local official for "Community Nuesence's", such as this. Their web site is explicite that they cannot give legal advice, but your sugestion should be OK.

I want to avoid putting holes through the dog. I actually like dogs very much, but this one is disturbed and dangerous. I also wish to avoid carrying a loaded pistol to and from my residence, the non-lethal stuff is keeping the dog at bay. Of course, this is not a comfortable way to come and go from my residence.

While I have called the police twice I have only filed one complaint. I don't know who or how to contact the 'proper animal agency.' Any suggestions, on how to do this? Will they be able to do anything about this. Are the common areas that I have to transit 'Public' areas?

I will start to now file formal complaints at every reasonable instance. I will also photographically, or otherwise, document every menacing incident. I will continue to check in on this tread.

Thanks again.

divgradcurl

Actually in Los Angeles it is legal to shoot a dangerous animal
You might want to double-check this before your do it -- last time I checked, which was admittedly a few years ago, it was unlawful to discharge a firearm anywhere in LA county, except for a gun range -- and that includes all of that open BLM land out near Lancaster.

Original poster: http://animalcontrol.co.la.ca.us/html/pages/locations/LocationByCity.htm

"Dangerous Dogs: Dogs that constitute a public menace may be impounded and removed from the custody of their owner. The Department may file a petition with the Municipal Court to determine the disposition of an animal considered to be dangerous. The owner of such an animal may be fined and forced to give up or dispose of his dog. (County Code Sections 10.37.020. 10/37.040 - 10.37.150)"

Souix

Barry Whittier said:
Thanks for the replies.
Moving would be easiest, but isn't that giving in? If I'm forced to move I want them to share my pain.

**I would think that you would be more interested in your safety, but if being litigious is more to your liking, then stay there and suffer the consequences.**

H

hmmbrdzz

You've gotten some good site info and info on vicious dogs. I'm just going to give you another resource. On this site, scroll down to LA County and see “Animal Control Agencies for LA County”. (the other site you got may be the same one I'm giving you). They should be able to help you (like now)! by making sure the owners have the dog contained, make sure the dog is vaccinated, and if not -- cite them and take the dog. German shepherds can get vicious, and if one is chasing you he’s going to bite you pretty soon. Also, I wouldn’t advise attempting to spray this dog unless you know you can get a direct hit in the face (like when he‘s locked onto your leg!) Otherwise, if you start spraying when he’s chasing you, he’s very likely to attack you vs. just chasing. Call animal control and say “now…..look a here”. ;) I've owned two, and they're good dogs, but they can be aggressive, and it's purely irresponsible of that owner to let that dog run around. There are laws to protect you on this one. Good luck.

http://www.wonderpuppy.net/cashelters.htm

hmmbrdzz

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">