• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Harassment (Need Advice)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

raider82

Pennsylvania:

I have an interesting situation going on in my life right now. To make things simple, my mom and my girlfriend don't get along AT ALL. My mom has never resorted to violence of any kind in this matter but she has left over 50 messages in the last month or so. My girlfriend got so fed up that she filed criminal charges against my mom for harassment. I know this entails my mom going to court and the possibility of her being convicted and charged, an uncomfortable position for me to say the least. My question is whether there is an alternative for my girlfriend, through the legal system or not, that wouldn't be so severe as to require court, but would prevent my mother from calling/ harassing her. No one wants this to go to court, and my girlfriend is willing to drop the charges; she just wants an alternative if it starts up again. Also, can the same charges be filed again at a later date if she drops the case?

Your help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

xylene

Caller ID

Don't have an answering machine (I won't have one at home)

Call blocking of mom's number at her expense as part of a settlement.

raider82

Sorry, I should have clarified things better. the calls are being made to her cell, which can't be blocked I believe. She would change the number, but it is very important to her job. Like I said no one wants this to go to court, she just wants some kind of recourse if she does drop the charges. Also can a complaint be filed again if it is dropped? Thanks again.

xylene

Calls from cell phones can be blocked just like any number

Non technical version: Your Phone company sets up a block on your phone so that a call from mom's telephone number (cell or whatever is rejected)

Settlement, mom agrees to keep phone number so that it can be blocked, notify of any changes in telephone number, and to otherwise NOT CALL, and to pay for the costs of blocking.

Should mom resume harrassing calls, of course you can raise the criminal issue again.

That said, not following thru with a criminal complaint is never good.

raider82

That would seem like a good solution, but I think my girlfriend already called t-mobile and tried to block my moms number, I'll tell her to call again. Her main concern is that she drops the charges and then my mom starts up again. That's why she is curious as to whether the same or similar charges can be filed again if they are indeed dropped. Thanks again for the responses.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">