• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Harassment -- Not workplace

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ExtremelyUpset

I really hope this is in the correct spot. The harassment in the workplace forum didn't seem correct. First of all I am in the state of KY. This is sort of convoluted so I am going to try to be as succinct as possible.
I live on a one lane road. There are 3 homes past mine and the road dead ends. I have had a problem with the neighbors at the end of the road for almost 8 years now! 8 Years! That seems incredible to me.
Anyway, my home is literally 17 feet from the one lane road. There is no real right of way to speak of. The posted speed limit is 35 but several years ago the county came and put a slow children sign out front at my request.
Said neighbor has driven past my house at times in excess of 50 mph. (that is a guess on my part) I have asked, screamed, called the police, you name it requesting they slow down. I have visited the Judge Executive in my county 3 times to request speed bumps, and 2 times to request the sign.
It seems that this certain neighbor has now told his friends to drive fast as well.
I have no proof that he has done so other than the obvious acceleration in front of my home.
It is actually my neighbors adult son. When he moves out all is quiet and we have no problems. When the boy (I say boy but reality he would be about 24) moves back it all starts again. The reason I get so upset is that I have 4 young children, all in elementary school still, who play outside every day. It is getting to the point that I am scared for them to do so. I used to let my dogs out in my yard without being tied. I can no longer do that as he has swerved to try to hit them several times.
I literally am at my wits end. We had to call the police last fall because he and his friends were throwing cherry bombs out of the car at our home. (we actually thought they were shooting at the time because it looked like muzzle flash)
So I guess my point is this is more than your typical animosity between neighbors. If I could move I most certainly would but the house is paid for and my husband is disabled so I do not have the money to just up and move.
What are my options? I know there are harassment laws but what if anything can I do to prove it?
I am at a complete loss. We cannot continue to live like this. I also worry about retaliation should I do something. I was considering making an appointment with the county attorney to see if perhaps he can assist.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">