• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Harassment reports via social media

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

misstasha

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

Last year, my now ex husband sent threatening messages to his former wife. I attempted to warn her of this. After former friends of his drove past her home, she contacted her local police station, assuming that it was him. She claims that a detective in her state monitored both my ex husband's facebook and mine, to determine that the messages he had sent her came from my IP address. She has stated that this was enough evidence for her to file a report against me (since I own the computer). I have not been contacted by police in her state, nor mine. I was under the impression that one had to be brought in for questioning before a valid police report could be filed. Furthermore, since I warned her that he was doing this, why is she allowed to file a report against me? Do I contact her police station to find out if I do in fact have a report filed against me? Or do I wait to see if I am contacted?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

Last year, my now ex husband sent threatening messages to his former wife. I attempted to warn her of this. After former friends of his drove past her home, she contacted her local police station, assuming that it was him. She claims that a detective in her state monitored both my ex husband's facebook and mine, to determine that the messages he had sent her came from my IP address. She has stated that this was enough evidence for her to file a report against me (since I own the computer). I have not been contacted by police in her state, nor mine. I was under the impression that one had to be brought in for questioning before a valid police report could be filed. Furthermore, since I warned her that he was doing this, why is she allowed to file a report against me? Do I contact her police station to find out if I do in fact have a report filed against me? Or do I wait to see if I am contacted?
You are mistaken on a few things -- you do NOT have to be questioned before a report is filed. You can ask if a report has been filed. But does it matter that much? Apparently you and your ex husband's former wife did not have a very good relationship when you were married to her ex husband.

quincy

First, I doubt that a detective from "her state" (what state is this?) was able to get your IP address without a court order - and you would have been informed of this prior to its release.

Second, the former wife did not need "evidence" to file a police report (although evidence can be used to support a report). A police report is not true or false until an investigation is conducted by the police to determine its truth or falsity. The police can choose to investigate a report through questioning, but this is not necessary and might not be likely if you reside in a different state.

If you want to see if her claims that she filed a report are true, you could contact the police station. I don't think you need to but it is up to you.

misstasha

You are mistaken on a few things -- you do NOT have to be questioned before a report is filed. You can ask if a report has been filed. But does it matter that much? Apparently you and your ex husband's former wife did not have a very good relationship when you were married to her ex husband.
No, we did not. When she found out we were dating, she constantly harassed me via phone, email and social media networks. When it became too much, I contacted the police, but they refused to let me file a report against her (even with an itemized phone bill and print outs of her emails and messages). Two years before I filed for divorce, she used their child to bait him into calling her. When he did, she was able to file a report against him and petition for a court order. He never showed up in court and the case was dismissed. Last year, she attempted to have another court order place on him claiming that he was texting her from a Kentucky phone number. That case was dropped when he showed the judge proof that he had been incarcerated during the time the messages were sent. After he missed a child support payment, the two of them began arguing (which is when he was sending her the threatening messages from our home compute). Even though I went against my better judgment, I informed her that he was making threats and now it appears that she is attempting to place the blame on me.

misstasha

First, I doubt that a detective from "her state" (what state is this?) was able to get your IP address without a court order - and you would have been informed of this prior to its release.

Second, the former wife did not need "evidence" to file a police report (although evidence can be used to support a report). A police report is not true or false until an investigation is conducted by the police to determine its truth or falsity. The police can choose to investigate a report through questioning, but this is not necessary and might not be likely if you reside in a different state.

If you want to see if her claims that she filed a report are true, you could contact the police station. I don't think you need to but it is up to you.
Thank you, that puts my mind at ease. She lives in Indiana. My only concern is her seeking legal action against me since he was using my computer.

quincy

Thank you, that puts my mind at ease. She lives in Indiana. My only concern is her seeking legal action against me since he was using my computer.
If the former wife in Indiana decides to take action against you in Illinois over threatening letters sent to her by the former husband from your home computer, that would be the time to consult with an attorney in your area.

I do not see that you have any need to do anything now, except perhaps remove yourself from the conflict between the battling exes. I suggest you have no more contact of any kind with either one of them unless a court requires such contact.

Good luck, misstasha.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">