• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

harassment in school

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

hinaman

I teach at a small college, and am approaching retirement. Recently a group of students complained about my grading practices, one in a particularly viscious way. The Dean handled the matter very badly, ignored proper college procedures, making the whole thing much worse for me The consequence of this was that I suffered a serious nervous attack, making it impossible for me to teach, and my doctor put me on temporary disability immediately. Not only has this had a great effect on my emotional and physical health (two nosebleeds since it happened with sky-high blood pressure) but it has cost me financially in a big way, since disability pay is only a fraction of regulary pay, plus I lose my insurance coverage and deductions to my retirement account until when and if I return to teaching, which would be until next fall at the earliest, if ever. And if it turns out that I can never return to teaching, my future earnings would be lost as well (I am 58 now).

Could I have any kind of claim against the student/s and/or the college for losses I have suffered because of the visciousness of the students and bungling by the administration?

I might add that just three weeks ago, well before this episode, my doctor issued a stern warning, in writing, to the college that they had to make every effort to keep stress to a minimum, and that I could teach my classes, go home, and nothing else. (Part of this is a fear of another bout of congestive heart failure I suffered 7 years ago). My health to this point however, has generally been fair, though I do have some liver enlargement and suffer from gout periodically.

Thank you

M

mikkeey

sorry kiddo.......you have to get with the new program...

You have to inflate the grades or they wont look good to an employer.

Lying is the norm today, I went to school were getting a B+ was something to celebrate....so i know were old farts arent we?

H

hinaman

point #1 No one has to inflate grades. , nor is it common. In fact a junior faculty member was let go for inflating grades a few semesters back. Grade "inflation" is a common misconception among outsiders.

point #2 My question had nothing do with the students' grades per se -- it had to do with the gross violation of the rules involved in APPEALING grade complains, and the serious medical effects on me.

I'm still waiting for someone out there who understands the current academic environment who can offer some legal advice?

I would like an actuall ATTORNEY to answer this time if possible. If not, thanks for your time.

H

hinaman

just curious -- anyone who how old Mikkeey is?

I'd guess about 17 or so....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">