• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

harrarssment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

donnaf

What is the name of your state? PA
So there is nothing I can do? I just sit here and wait till the baby is born? What if I dont want to have the baby and want him to help with cost in other ways? Can I charge him with anytype of harrassment, emotional? I met him on the computer and he led me to beleive his intentions were good, which they were not. He has caused me and my son emotional abuse as far as I feel. I am a wreck over the whole situation and can not let him get away with it. Help

Last edited:

D

DianneInNY

If a police officer told you not to call, then don't. Its likely that if you do and he goes to the police again you will be arrested for harrassment and be served with a restraining order. When the baby is born, get an attorney and file for custody and child support. A paternity test will be done and support/custody/visitation will be established. Don't get in touch with him again - the courts will take care of that for you. As far as whether a police officer can tell you not to call him - yeah, he can. And he was actually nice to do so, he really didn't have to warn you.

Beth3

You met a guy over the internet, got pregnant, and now he wants nothing to do with you or the baby. That is the reality you are going to have to accept. He apparently got what he wanted and the truth is, there's not a thing you can do about it since you can't roll the clock back and make wiser choices.

If you wish to terminate the pregnancy, that is your choice and your responsibility. The other options are to give the baby up for adoption after it's born, or to keep the child and pursue him for child support.

The MOST you can hope for from this guy is some court-ordered financial support if you elect to keep the baby. He clearly has no interest in a relationship with you or being a father. Your continuing to attempt to contact him is only going to result in his obtaining a restraining order. The cop did you a favor by telling you not to call any further. The situation may be unfair but you were a willing participant.

D

DianneInNY

Donna

For the future -
It would be helpful for later readers if you were to use the "reply" function to add new information and/or ask followup questions rather than editing your original post. The way it stands now is that neither my nor Beth's answers make any sense to someone just reading them, nor can a new reader see your original question if they wanted to add their two cents. Thanks :)

For the time being nothing can be done. Its not possible to successfully sue this man for emotional abuse or heartache, no matter how much you're hurting. Some people are just jerks and you're going to have to chalk it up to one of life's lessons.

If you choose to terminate your pregnancy he is under no legal obligation to assist with the cost. You may want to call Planned Parenthood and they can assist you with your options.

If you choose to keep the child, the information in my previous post stands.

It might be helpful to obtain some counseling to work out your feelings over this situation and to gain some insight about why you've made the choices you did relationship-wise, to lessen the chance of a repeat in the future.

I wish you the best of luck.

Bravo8

There is no such thing as a "Restraining Order" in Pennsylvania. A "Protection From Abuse" order (aka P.F.A.) is issued in cases of physical abuse. I don't know if this applies because, as Dianne pointed out, the original message is M.I.A.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">