• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Harrassing Voicemail / Trade School a Scam

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sykopanda

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

Hi! I am unsure if I posted this in the right place to post this, but I have an issue. I enrolled in a private trade school for massage therapy about a month ago. We were a small class of 4 at first, but within the first week, 1 student dropped, leaving us to 3. Due to the other students not showing up and constant cancelling of classes once I arrived at class wasting gas, the constant talk about drug use and how weed helps you study, there being 1 instructor for 3 different classes, and the instructor badmouthing students behind their back, I decided to withdraw today. I informed the director of the school and why I made the choice. She merely told me the other students were young and had lives, that I should not worry about it. More reason for me withdraw.

I am unsure what the director told the instructor who told the students, but one of the students called my cell leaving me a voicemail saying '**** you, glad your gone, die bitch' and went on saying she talked to my family and none of them liked me either. Then she went on my Facebook leaving a message cursing at me, saying she was glad I was gone, and so did my family.. calling me a nut case.

Now keep in mind, I was nice to the other students, but we were not friends. We had class together for less than a month and less than that due to them always missing or having class cancelled. So I don't understand why she would go off on me like that unless the instructor who gossips about students said something to her.

I do not know how to handle this situation, but I feel uncomfortable about this school and this girl. I do not know what I could do legally and was hoping someone may be able to give me advice. I don't know if I can report the school or the student.

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

Hi! I am unsure if I posted this in the right place to post this, but I have an issue. I enrolled in a private trade school for massage therapy about a month ago. We were a small class of 4 at first, but within the first week, 1 student dropped, leaving us to 3. Due to the other students not showing up and constant cancelling of classes once I arrived at class wasting gas, the constant talk about drug use and how weed helps you study, there being 1 instructor for 3 different classes, and the instructor badmouthing students behind their back, I decided to withdraw today. I informed the director of the school and why I made the choice. She merely told me the other students were young and had lives, that I should not worry about it. More reason for me withdraw.

I am unsure what the director told the instructor who told the students, but one of the students called my cell leaving me a voicemail saying '**** you, glad your gone, die bitch' and went on saying she talked to my family and none of them liked me either. Then she went on my Facebook leaving a message cursing at me, saying she was glad I was gone, and so did my family.. calling me a nut case.

Now keep in mind, I was nice to the other students, but we were not friends. We had class together for less than a month and less than that due to them always missing or having class cancelled. So I don't understand why she would go off on me like that unless the instructor who gossips about students said something to her.

I do not know how to handle this situation, but I feel uncomfortable about this school and this girl. I do not know what I could do legally and was hoping someone may be able to give me advice. I don't know if I can report the school or the student.

It doesn't appear that the school has done anything at all illegal.

If you can prove who actually left the voicemail, I suppose you could report it to police but I doubt they'd take much (if any) action.

Oh, change your FB settings too.

swalsh411

Facebook drama is so incredibly unnecessary. Change your settings so these people cannot message or see you.

justalayman

It doesn't appear that the school has done anything at all illegal.

If you can prove who actually left the voicemail, I suppose you could report it to police but I doubt they'd take much (if any) action.

Oh, change your FB settings too.
I'm not sure the person calling even committed any crime.

I'm thinking the OP may have an issue with interpersonal relationships and has great difficulty "reading" another person. You don't go from:

Now keep in mind, I was nice to the other students, but we were not friends
to:

die bitch'
in the matter of a few hours. I'm suspecting there were signs the OP missed.

and with a user name like sykopanda, it really screams TROLL. but hey, that's just a guess.

sykopanda

I'm not sure the person calling even committed any crime.

in the matter of a few hours. I'm suspecting there were signs the OP missed.

and with a user name like sykopanda, it really screams TROLL. but hey, that's just a guess.
When I say I was nice to them but we were not friends, it was because I did not hang out with them yet was nice to them in class. I had no issues with them in other words. We got along great in class, so it made no sense for her to call leaving a voice mail telling me to die. And Syko-Panda.. that's my cat's name. Panda is, but we call her pyscho, I just spell it different in usernames. So your guess is wrong. =)

Okay, I was just checking. And I already blocked her on facebook. I'm not into the whole drama through social networking. And thanks for the advice!

davew128

I'm thinking the OP may have an issue with interpersonal relationships and has great difficulty "reading" another person. You don't go from......in the matter of a few hours. I'm suspecting there were signs the OP missed.
Ehh not sure I agree. My GF is bipolar and she will turn like that in a matter of seconds with no proximate cause. Its possible thats the case with the former student.

quincy

If the massage therapy trade school is operating as you say, you should visit the following Texas Department of State Health Services website, which discusses massage therapy licensing, to see how to file a complaint: http://www.dshs.state.tx.us/massage/default.shtm.

As to the students who don't seem to like you very much, there is not much you can do other than block them from your Facebook page and cell phone (which you have already wisely done) and then ignore them. The "die bitch" comment would be looked at less as a threat than as hyperbole but, if threats come in a different form and become worrisome, report them to the police.

justalayman

Ehh not sure I agree. My GF is bipolar and she will turn like that in a matter of seconds with no proximate cause. Its possible thats the case with the former student.
anything is possible but to go to the extent the other party did? Un-bi-polar like typically. They tend to react to those in the immediate area. Going to the effort of reaching out like that; generally not. That takes planning, design, and intent; those are not what one has with bi-polar typically.

sykopanda;

given we deal with a lot of trolls on the forum, your situation is a bit, well, atypical, and combined with the user name; can you blame me for thinking that, at least as a possibility?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">