• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Harrassment and Assault

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mommyto2wifeto1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I have been having ongoing problems with my husbands ex girlfriend. The harrassment first started in March of 2009 and it excalated in January of 2010. My husbands ex has threatened me, harrassed me by calling and texting at all hours of the day, she has keyed my car, poured coffee in my car and attacked me three times while I was pregnant. I am a very kind person and also very empathetic, I say this because my husband has a daughter with his ex girlfriend and left her before she gave birth to their daughter and is now married to me and as a woman I understand the pain and hurt and anger that my husbands ex was feeling. This is why at the time I didn't press any charges and never filed a police report. Fast forward to now; My husband and his ex-girlfriend are going through a horrible custody battle over their daughter and his ex-girlfriend is now trying to incriminate me and run my character through the mud with lies.

My question is can I file for harrassment and assault against my husbands ex now for things that happened last year or is it too late? :confused:

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
https://forum.freeadvice.com/child-custody-visitation-37/step-parents-rights-525793.html

I find it strange that none of this alleged harassment was mentioned in your prior thread.

In any case, you can't take action on this NOW if you didn't feel it warranted action a year ago.

CavemanLawyer

The statute of limitations for all misdemeanors, like harassment (calls and texts) and criminal mischief (keying car) is two years. So legally, no it is not too late to file a complaint. Practically the more time that goes by the harder the case is to prove and the harder its going to be to convince the police and/or the prosecutor to proceed with the case.

If you still have evidence of these prior things then consider filing a report, just be careful you don't open up a can of worms with this person.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">