• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

harrassment by a cop

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

judi375

What is the name of your state? north carolina can the police stop my son on the street and search him , harrass him all the time and accuse him of breaking and entering without a parent present. he is 16 years old

H

hmmbrdzz

They can stop him and search him if they have reason to believe he's doing something criminal. You haven't described what the police are doing to "harass" him (other than saying they are stopping him and searching him and accusing him). And yes, if they think he's broken into a buildling or a residence, they can accuse him of it without you being present, and they can also question him about it without you being present. If he is arrested and questioned without being read his rights or without being given the opportunity to speak with and have an attorney present and/or without being given the opportunity to have a parent present during questioning, then you will need to hire an attorney to find all the inappropriate procedures used by the police to defend him in court on whatever he has been charged with. But as far as the police being able to stop him and search him and accuse him and question him, yes they can.

hmmbrdzz

R

rammmrod

the poster left out the most important details

was her son "harassed" when he should be in school?, or after 10 pm on a school night and should be home studying?

J

judi375

rammmrod said:
the poster left out the most important details

was her son "harassed" when he should be in school?, or after 10 pm on a school night and should be home studying?
No. He was the cop that took him to the mental hospital when we had him committed the first time. when he got out of the hospital two years ago it began. fIRST he would embarrass him when he was walking with his friends saying things like I cannot wait until you are 16 years old. did you steal that bike when he was on my bike. He follows me when I driv e and I do not speeed and I wear my seat belt. It makes you so nervous.
My son has not been in trouble with the police. He is bipolar off medication because of the mental health professionals here because of his weigh gain from the meds. We have had to call the police because of the fits he throws due to his mental illness and that cop knows that but seems to like to harrass disabled children. He makes up stuff in order to harrass him. My husband went and found him the last time and told him to quit harrassing his son. If he had done something wrong, arrest him. He said If you have a problem with me take it up with my chief. He made my husband so angry I thought he was going to have another heart attack he just had one in february. He is 65 years old and we cannot live like this.

H

hmmbrdzz

Wow. Makes me look at things here a bit differently. I'm a psych nurse. Bipolar disorder has a special place in my heart. I've seen it totally destroy families, the one who has it, and I've worked with many bipolar adult offenders (used to work the prison system), who -- once stablized on their meds -- had no violent outbursts.

You've got a special problem on your hands, and unfortunately your son is labeled and viewed a trouble maker. Bipolar, violence, and crime are what comes to mind when the word "bipolar" is mentioned. (although that's not always a fair assessment of bipolar).

If you feel that this cop is unduly making your son's life miserable and your son is doing (or has done) nothing criminal, then you may very well want to file a formal complaint with the chief. In the meantime, you really need to get your son back on his meds regardless of the weight gain. Get him to a therapist soon. Without the meds, he is at very high risk of injury to himself and others. Also, encourage him to not entice the cop in any way (even if the cop is a butt hole). Impress upon him that mouthing off at that cop will wind him in jail. You might also want to talk to your town's administrator / mayor about it (discreetly). If your family and your son are law-abiding, non-trouble makers of the community, the cop should not appear as if he enjoys harassing you, nor should he be unduly embarrassing your son, and sometimes talking to the town officials goes a long way.

Best of luck. I hope things will get better for you all.

hmmbrdzz

J

judi375

I have learned that he does this to other kids stops them on the street and searches them for no reason. Maybe he likes boys.
We are law abiding.
I have never even had a speeding ticket. I have seven children, 4 grown and 3 adopted teenagers. I have lived in many states and have never even had a cop at my house for any reason.

this town has less than 2500 people and your reputation can be runined by a cop running his mouth to people like he does. Adults do not like him either. My husband normally likes everyone, is slow to anger and gets along well but to hear him say he despises this dirty cop is proving to me I am not wrong.

H

hmmbrdzz

Hi Judy: Again, you may want to consider calling the town administrator and/or mayor and speak with them about the matter. In small communities such as this, the town administrator can often be your best first step. The adm. might listen to your story and say "I'll see what I can do about it", or he might tell you to file a complaint and how to file one. In small communities like this, a bad cop usually gets ousted out eventually. Your complaint might be the one the administrator is waiting for so that the chief can "do his thing" with this bad apple. You never know what's going in someone's work history.

Best of luck.

Hmmbrdzz

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">