• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

harrassment/threats what can happen?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

__123456__

What is the name of your state?ca

I was involved in an online relationship that ended because I wouldn't leave my spouse. He's married also. When he ended it, I "lost it"...made calls to his house, threatened to tell the wife everything. Instead he told her before I could. I contacted him via email and phone after he had told her. he asked me not to, but I continued to. They changed their phone numbers. he says he filed a police report and suppeonaed her cell records, of which show my number making incoming calls to her. i have no way of knowing her cell number. now they are getting harrassing phone calls at their new unlisted phone number (harrassing in the sense that the person hangs up) he claims the person is using a caller id fake program that changes the caller id. the number that shows up are numbers that only I would know (payphone number that he called me at) and then some that I should have no way of knowing. he has told me that this is a federal offense punishable by a year in prison (NOT jail, but prison he made sure to inform me). Now she received a phone call at her place of employment from someone who claimed she gave him her number and work address in a chatroom. she is now afraid for her safety. i am beginning to wonder if she isn't the one doing all of this to make him hate me and therefore i would no longer be a threat to her marriage. he believes i have been behind all of this. he says he is going to press charges and is going to subpeona my cell phone records, my home phone records and my isp records.

is this possible? and what information would he have to find to have me arrested? would they just arrest me, or would someone contact me first? would i be able to see these records?

ENASNI

well

If you have nothing to hide, then let them see your phone records.

Do you have alibis for the dates and times of the other phone calls.

If not call 1 800-IALIBIU* they are cheap and most stalkers can get group
discounts.
Stalkers... sigh.

* not a real number... just a joke.. :rolleyes:

__123456__

:(

yeah i learned a big lesson. get your heart smashed to pieces but your not allowed to talk to the person about it nor react...or you become a stalker.

i wonder legally if there is anything that can be proven. yes, i made some phone calls to their original number, i didn't block my number either, it wasn't a hidden thing.

after he claimed that i called using a "caller id fake program" I did a search on the net for this program...if he pulls my isp records will he see that i went to that site? and if so, does just because i looked at the website to see what i was being accused of mean that he'll have the proof he is looking for?

what kind of laws were broken? what could i be facing? harrassing phone calls, stalking?, and this latest development of the person calling his wife that he got her number from someone in a chatroom?

CdwJava

You might be charged with stalking ... maybe, but can almost certainly be charged with annoying and harassing phone calls - a misdemeanor. I do not know if the feds would even bother with this - or if they could.

Yes, the police can subpoena your phone records, ISP records, whatever ... but for a misdemeanor, I doubt they will bother with it.

My suggestion? Don't talk to him, don't e-mail him, don't phone him - have nothing at all to do with him.

- Carl

__123456__

Thank you Carl.

As far as the harrassing and annoying phone calls go, I haven't called in over a month. He's been the one to call me to say he knows I am calling.

The only contact has been my responses to his calls or email and I have been very cooperative and forthcoming.

I am concerned that based on my previous phone calls and emails and inability to "let go" that he will use the history of these phone calls to his new number to show probability that it is me. And that will be enough for the police to look at me as the culprit. I don't care if they look at my phone records, I know I haven't called. But the ISP records worry me.

Should I get a lawyer? He seems very serious about this because of this stranger making contact with his wife at her work. He believes it was me who gave out her information.

do you work as a lawyer? can i contact you to as representation?

CdwJava

__123456__ said:
Should I get a lawyer? He seems very serious about this because of this stranger making contact with his wife at her work. He believes it was me who gave out her information.

do you work as a lawyer? can i contact you to as representation?
Heavens, no! I'm a cop - I'll leave the lawyering up to the attorneys.

Personally, I wouldn't think you need to fork for an attorney until or unless you are actually contacted by the police. If HE is calling you, he's trying to rattle your cage. Don't answer his calls, don't talk to him, don't communicate in ANY way.

- Carl

__123456__

:) sorry for the missed assumption! Ha Ha.

So then you probably can tell me this...

If the police contact me, how would that be accomplished. He is in another state. I am married and am not very interested in having my spouse know of this whole situation. We are now beginning divorce (hence the reason the indiscretion began in the first place) This information of things I've done would have an impact on my custody I would imagine. He's vengeful and very very mean.

How would I know if a police report was filed against me. Or if this is just him rattling my cage.

CdwJava

The police would likely phone you. I doubt that that they would even think about issuing a warrant for this from out of state.

- Carl

1curious1

__123456__ said:
As far as the harrassing and annoying phone calls go, I haven't called in over a month. He's been the one to call me to say he knows I am calling.

The only contact has been my responses to his calls or email and I have been very cooperative and forthcoming.
In order to isolate yourself further and I imagine more cheaply than hiring a lawyer is to change your phone number and email address. Yes this will be inconvient, but not as inconvienient as having the Police knocking on your door. You might feel that you have done nothing wrong and shouldn't have to be the one to nmake this move but...

If you are in divorce proceedings you will likely be making these changes sooner or later anyhow. other than that follow Carl's advice DO NOT COMMUNICATE WITH HIM ANYMORE. PERIOD

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">