• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Held hostage in a stranger's home 2 hours away being sexually and mentally abused

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lsimmons927

Illinois

is it possible to report that i was held hostage in a stranger's home 2 hours away being sexually and mentally abused over the course of almost a week?

if it was 2 years ago, is it too late to contact police

if i was lured through the internet and agreed to meet and get picked up and come in their home, is it still a crime?

is it a crime that i was verbally and mentally abused?

what if there's no evidence

is it still a crime if i'm over 18

is it a crime that there were four other people in the home who did not intervene

what is the process to report it?

OHRoadwarrior

You could report to the police in that jurisdiction, however due to time and lack of evidence, I would not expect any action on the report.

I'mTheFather

Report it. Even if nothing comes of your case, it's likely that the person who did this has done it to others, or is continuing to do it.

CdwJava

How were you held against your will? What was done to keep you there?

How did you get away from the scene?

Why didn't you call the police after it happened? Why are you interested in reporting this NOW and not two years ago?

Sexual abuse - assuming it was done by force or fear - is a crime as is being held against your will. This should still be reportable. If this actually occurred, then you should report it. More importantly, you should seek counseling to help you cope with what happened.

Silverplum

Illinois

is it possible to report that i was held hostage in a stranger's home 2 hours away being sexually and mentally abused over the course of almost a week?

if it was 2 years ago, is it too late to contact police

if i was lured through the internet and agreed to meet and get picked up and come in their home, is it still a crime?

is it a crime that i was verbally and mentally abused?

what if there's no evidence

is it still a crime if i'm over 18

is it a crime that there were four other people in the home who did not intervene

what is the process to report it?
Two YEARS ago? That's a long time to wait to try for justice.

quincy

Two YEARS ago? That's a long time to wait to try for justice.
I believe that, in Illinois, an adult victim has three years to report sexual abuse - and the State then has 10 additional years to file charges.

I agree that two years seems a long time to report a crime such as the one described. I think my first act once I was freed by my captives would be to head to the police.

Last edited:

commentator

Sexually and mentally and verbally.....okay, are you sure this was not just a really bad date weekend? I mean, why now? That's what the police are going to ask you, you know. Why did you not go immediately to the police? Do a rape kit? The obvious question here. Have you had any further contact with this person since this incident?

I'mTheFather

As unbelievable as this situation may seem, similar things have happened. I actually think it was Illinois, but haven't found the news stories through Google yet. In the case I'm remembering, a man contracted with prostitutes through Craigslist to service him in his home, then he raped them and held them hostage. If that's the case with OP, I'm not surprised that she didn't report it immediately.

quincy

I can see how someone might be afraid (or even ashamed) to report this type of abuse, having set up the arrangement to meet the stranger. I still think my first reaction would be to go to the police but ... maybe not.

If lsimmons has decided s/he wants to report what happened to the police, it is probably smart to do so now before any more time passes, so the police can potentially find and take action against the individual (or individuals) involved.

It might help first, though, for lsimmons to find some support from one of the crisis centers in Illinois. Here are a couple of links to resources in Illinois that s/he might find helpful:

http://icasa.org/crisisCenters.aspx?PageID=501

http://www.nwcasa.org/services/

And here is a link to the statute of limitations for reporting sexual assaults/abuse - scroll down to 720 ILCS 5/3-6(i) - where it speaks to the 3 years/10 years I mentioned earlier:

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs4.asp?ActID=1876&ChapterID=53&SeqStart=5100000&SeqEnd=6000000

Last edited:

CdwJava

It is possible to see a delayed rape report - and other sexual abuse cases. There are a number of legitimate reasons why someone might not report such a thing for a couple of years. But! The OP will have to be able to answer these questions to have any hope of an investigation being done. This will be a big hurdle that the defense will make hay with, so, the reason had best be compelling, and likely backed up with expert testimony (such as from a crisis counselor or psychologist) that can explain to a jury why she might have waited so long.

Until the OP comes back with answers, we are all just shooting in the dark.

justalayman

I believe that, in Illinois, an adult victim has three years to report sexual abuse - and the State then has 10 additional years to file charges.

I agree that two years seems a long time to report a crime such as the one described. I think my first act once I was freed by my captives would be to head to the police.
Especially since the scene of the crime was 2 hours from their home and the assailant had picked up the op. That's a really long walk

OHRoadwarrior

Of course OP could have expressed a desire to dable in S & M, met a dom and volunteered to spend a weekend in his dungeon, not using the safe word. Suddenly, OP decides the experience was humiliating and wants to blame the DOM for their not using the safe word.

quincy

People generally do not want to know how to report "humiliating" experiences to the police, OHR.

OHRoadwarrior

People generally do not want to know how to report "humiliating" experiences to the police, OHR.
Apparently there is some back story or OP would not have waited 2 years and suddenly wants to seek legal assistance. If it was a stranger, it appears domestic advantage can be ruled out. Perhaps OP would care to enlighten us. If OP conveyed the story to a future spouse for some reason, it may have taken an entirely new spin to hide OP's closet desires to be dominated. Perhaps OP would care to give us the reason and take us out of the realm of speculation.

xylene

Here we go...victim blaming. :rolleyes:

Y'all would really be ok with this if the OP was a sex worker?

Google 'Jamelske' for like one example of when this happened.

The OP needs a lawyer and if the OP can't afford a lawyer they should contact a victim's advocacy group.

Reporting it, even with a delay is terribly important.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">